Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sicko

Default Re: Sicko

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    I personally dont think Dr.'s withold cures for financial gain but you could convince me fairly easily that insurance companies and drug companies do.
    I don't see how supressing curative technologies would benefit insurance companies, and I don't know enough about drug companies to comment, but basically, I agree.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Olympic Champ

From what I understand, he hammers on the insurance cos.

The stunt at Guantanamo is obviously grandstanding by the filmmaker, but I think it is helpful to contrast health care systems, including those in Cuba.

I don't think there's any grand conspiracy at all. But the reality is, insurance cos. operate on the bottom line. So there is undoubtedly some pressure (and we can argue about its reasonableness) on ins. co. employees (including doctors and nurses who review claims) to save costs. I understand Moore has a doctor in the film (a former medical director at Humana) who tells how the biggest deniers there got a bonus. I don't know if that's true or not but, if so, I'd say that's just a small part of the larger problem--which is the inherent tension between for-profit insurers and administrators, employers, and the public need for health care. One of the most persuasive arguments for national health care for me is that it would eliminate the middle man (insurance cos. etc) who take 20-25% (or whatever it is) out of each health care dollar.

I agree with what you are saying Clone. I for one feel that if we dont get some type of national healthcare plan in place over the next 10-15yrs we are going to be facing some serious issues. I believe that with the proper steps a national heathcare system would also allow companies like United Airlines abd GM to keep the retirement pensions they agreed to without handing them off to the Gov. or eliminating them.

THe conspiracy issue on behalf of the insurance and drug companies to me is a completely resonable thought, but like I said I dont think the Dr's are in on it.

Olympic Champ

I dont think the Dr's are in on it

Please! I am not saying all doctors are crooked. We have an honest Spider teeth doc on here for example. However, often drug companies bribe doctors with vacations and money to promote and prescribe certain drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Do you really believe this? I have no love for insurance companies, whose existence is solely money driven, but I do not believe that the medical establishment has anything other than the health and welfare of the public as its primary goal.

Spider that is a copy of a post that a friend sent me for the movie. I should have read the comment first, I do believe that "generally" the medical establishment has a primary interest the health and welfare of the public. Now as to my belief about insurance companies, you won't hear me say much positive. Remember, I was a director at a larger agency that was one of the first 2 pilot programs for managed care. That gave me a sour taste for a very long time.
    The Virtual Pew
    Hollywood Jesus
    Personal Web Page
    MySpace Page
    Church Web Page

---------------------------

A certain amount of opposition is of great help to a man. Kites rise against, not with the wind. ~ John Neal

I saw the movie yesterday and have to admit, while I didn't like Fahrenheit 9/11 I thought this was brilliant film making and very true to my own experiences in health care and working with insurance companies. I will be doing what will likely be a rather controversial piece on the movie today and will link it when done.

I agree Moore attacks both Dems and Repubs, including Hillary Clinton which really surprised me. He takes no prisoners and the facts and stories in this are incredibly moving and convincing. I would encourage everyone to see it in the theaters if you don't get the down load. I will say, the download was reportedly leaked by Moore because of his desire for as many as possible to see the movie. The quality is exceptional and it was well worth the 30 minutes it took to do everything to get the movie.
    The Virtual Pew
    Hollywood Jesus
    Personal Web Page
    MySpace Page
    Church Web Page

A certain amount of opposition is of great help to a man. Kites rise against, not with the wind. ~ John Neal

Olympic Champ

Mike, why do you say your review will be controversial? Because of where it's posted? Or will it be self-evident once we read it?

Matclone, here you go, I expect to get blasted for this but I don't care. One can see my frustrations once the read the review. I say it will be controversial because of the stance I take. Most of those positions though are based on actual experience as I detail in the review.

If you want to get my response, I will be more inclined to give it at the sites as opposed to here. Remember it is actually pre edit.

It’s Time to Raze Hell and Stand Up – A Review of Michael Moore’s Sicko

The Virtual Pew

http://thevirtualpew.blogspot.com/20...-stand-up.html

MySpace

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...3-458f46339ddf
    The Virtual Pew
    Hollywood Jesus
    Personal Web Page
    MySpace Page
    Church Web Page

Saw it, don't like Michael Moore too much, but while somewhat sensationalized (That's what MM does), I did find my jaw agape at points during the movie.

"Enlightening" .... to a point.