Thread: 2008 NCAAs @ Scottrade Center?

Default 2008 NCAAs @ Scottrade Center?

I just saw a wrestling schedule that mentions the 2008 NCAA Division I championships will be held in St Louis at something called Scottrade Center....

Is this a brand-new building... or yet another name for the facility that was once called Kiel Center (2000 NCAAs) and Savvis Center (2004 & 2005 NCAAs)?

(If so, they might as well forget about permanent signage and just use a chalkboard!)

Thanks
    Mark

Default Re: 2008 NCAAs @ Scottrade Center?

Google Search....
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Scottrade Center is located at 1401 Clark Avenue in the heart of downtown St. Louis. Situated just off I-64 (U.S. 40), Scottrade Center is bounded by Clark Avenue on the south, 14th Street on the east, Market Street on the north and 16th Street on the west. Scottrade Center's main entrance is located at the corner of 14th Street and Clark Avenue, with additional entrances located on 14th Street approximately midway between Market Street and Clark Avenue and on Clark Avenue between Scottrade Center and the attached garage.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    Scottrade Center is located at 1401 Clark Avenue in the heart of downtown St. Louis. Situated just off I-64 (U.S. 40), Scottrade Center is bounded by Clark Avenue on the south, 14th Street on the east, Market Street on the north and 16th Street on the west. Scottrade Center's main entrance is located at the corner of 14th Street and Clark Avenue, with additional entrances located on 14th Street approximately midway between Market Street and Clark Avenue and on Clark Avenue between Scottrade Center and the attached garage.
    Still the same place. They sell the naming rights to all the time. Same thing with the dome in STL. The only name they stick with for more than 5 minutes is Busch Stadium.

Thanks for answering my question...

I wonder what the circumstances were -- if the Savvis Corp (I remember the signs inside the arena explaining who they were -- something like "We're the network that powers Wall Street") went belly-up, got bought up, changed its name, or if their naming rights deal expired and it was time to sell the rights again.

What I think is sad is when a structure has been named for an individual, and then their name is stripped off, replaced by some corporate name. That happened here in Cincinnati. The convention center was named for Albert Sabin, one of the inventors of the polio vaccine; then the city got the bright idea "Here's a way we can make some fast cash" and the convention center is now named for the no-longer-local gas-and-electric company. (WIthout giving their name, think of a NC university famous for its lacrosse team.) It was a real slap in the face to the surviving Sabin family here, but the children's hospital renamed its main bldg after him.

Back to St Louis -- it blows my mind that in less than a decade, one building could have three names (Kiel, Savvis, Scottrade). It might be one of those things that drives future historians crazy. Pick a name and stick with it! ;-)

Mark

Only in America....

Dart, how long have you been covering the NCAAs now?

Attending since 2002, "covering" since 2003.