Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Is The Greatest Champion In UFC History?

Default Re: Who Is The Greatest Champion In UFC History?

Quote Originally Posted by clmetal View Post
    Zapp, he lost his belt because Pride was purchased and retired. He has wins over 4 former UFC Hwt champs and his last 2 wins are very impressive ones.

It's not as simple as looking at statistics.
    You're dealing in conjecture. When you're looking at "best champions" you look at who has defended their belt the most and against the best level of opposition. It doesn't mean that Matt Hughes or Anderson Silva is a better fighter then Fedor, it means that they are better champions. Fedor rarely defended his title, fought against several weak opponents, and fought non-title fights regularly. Sure, Pride folding isn't his fault, but the FACTS are what they are. If Pride hadn't folded, Fedor's record would look even worse, because he's likely not fighting Tim Sylvia or Andrei Arlovski if that's the case.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

bump for vaks response.

Hughes also faced some lackluster competition while defending his belt. Carlos Newton is 1 fight over .500 in his career, and Gil Castillo is, well, Gil Castillo. I know Newton was a former champ until Hughes beat him, but he certainly isn't a world beater. The two best fighters Hughes has ever faced have both beat him in title fights, also.

At the time that hughes fought Newton, Newton was the champion. He prettty much has to beat him. Further, at the time, Newton WAS considered among the best fighters in the world. Castillo is the only REALLY questionable.

From the time HUghes won the title from Newton, he defended it, on average, every 4.3 months (approx.) Fedor won his belt in March of 2003, defended it in June and August (against Fujita and Goodridge; I assume these are title defenses, but they very well could have been non-title fights). It would be two years before he would defend his title again, against Mirko Cro Cop. Then, he defended it in December of 2005 against Zulu (!) 4 months later...and he would not defend it again for ANOTHER 2 years. That's an average of every 11.4 months for defenses.

His defenses were against Fujita, Goodridge, Mirko Cro Cop, Zulu, and Mark Hunt. That's two high level opponents out of 5. Hughes, to counter, fought Mach Sakurai, Carlos Newton, Gil Castillo, Sean Sherk, and BJ Penn. That's 4 out of 5 high level opponents.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    Lets compare it to Hughes who I am sure you would consider the greatest champion of all time.

You left out that Fedor defended the title against Nogueria as well.

Hughes has eight title defenses, Fedor has seven. Fedor has never lost a title defense Hughes has twice. Beyond that Fedor fought a total of 12 times from when he first won the title and never lost.

I dont care if people dont like the guy but to deny he is one of the best champs just makes you look stubborn.
    If he's not fighting in title fights, what does how many times he fights have to do with anything in this discussion?

I forgot that the Nogueira fight was made a title defense because at the time, Nog was the interim champion. Normally that wouldn't be a title defense, and I just didn't put it together in my head.

I feel like I'm being generous in allowing the WAMMA title to be in this discussion, but I'll just let it go for now.

Either way, Hughes was defending his title constantly against high level opposition. Fedor has defended his title intermittently, not always against top competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimach View Post
    how did GSP get thrown in this conversation? hes a greased up frog.
    Didn't he beat Hughes twice? that might be a reason (though I agree that GSP's not the all time best).

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    At the time that hughes fought Newton, Newton was the champion. He prettty much has to beat him. Further, at the time, Newton WAS considered among the best fighters in the world. Castillo is the only REALLY questionable.

From the time HUghes won the title from Newton, he defended it, on average, every 4.3 months (approx.) Fedor won his belt in March of 2003, defended it in June and August (against Fujita and Goodridge; I assume these are title defenses, but they very well could have been non-title fights). It would be two years before he would defend his title again, against Mirko Cro Cop. Then, he defended it in December of 2005 against Zulu (!) 4 months later...and he would not defend it again for ANOTHER 2 years. That's an average of every 11.4 months for defenses.

His defenses were against Fujita, Goodridge, Mirko Cro Cop, Zulu, and Mark Hunt. That's two high level opponents out of 5. Hughes, to counter, fought Mach Sakurai, Carlos Newton, Gil Castillo, Sean Sherk, and BJ Penn. That's 4 out of 5 high level opponents.

Quality of competition isn't the only thing to look at either. Who has lost more title fights, Fedor or Hughes? Who has been stopped 3 times, and who has been stopped none? But back to those fights you listed, another way to look at it is Hughes fought one very questionable fighter, a guy who we now know isn't as great as billed and 3 155ers, one of which beat the shit out of him.

Hilarious article. Hard science indeed.
    I heart Jazzy B. White.
    Indianamat.com

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshackleford View Post
    Quality of competition isn't the only thing to look at either. Who has lost more title fights, Fedor or Hughes? Who has been stopped 3 times, and who has been stopped none? But back to those fights you listed, another way to look at it is Hughes fought one very questionable fighter, a guy who we now know isn't as great as billed and 3 155ers, one of which beat the shit out of him.
    Amen to that. I would think number (and severity) of losses is a huge criterion, but the writer doesn't really seem to take it into account. I'm not too knowledgeble about MMA but I think everyone on the list (except possibly Silva) has a lot more losses than Fedor.