Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: greatest baseball player of all time

Default Re: greatest baseball player of all time

Mantle was truely on of the greats! As a kid he was one of my idols. Greatest of all time? Here we go again! Do we compare Cy Young with Nolan Ryan with Roger Clemons, etc? Where does Jackie Robinson fit in, or Roberto Clemente - and how do you compare them with each other or with athletes today? Ruth was a great pitcher and a great hitter - does anybody have info on his fielding ability? (Contrary to what Spider will tell you, I DO NOT remember Ruth.)
    As far as a favorite baseball player (a totally different thread, I know) Yogi Berra was mine. Brilliant behind the plate and the best bad-ball hitter I have ever seen.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Babe Ruth, hands down.
    Absolutely.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Frank Robinson

Olympic Champ

Ruth.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

Barry Bonds.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    Mantle was truely on of the greats! As a kid he was one of my idols. Greatest of all time? Here we go again! Do we compare Cy Young with Nolan Ryan with Roger Clemons, etc? Where does Jackie Robinson fit in, or Roberto Clemente - and how do you compare them with each other or with athletes today? Ruth was a great pitcher and a great hitter - does anybody have info on his fielding ability? (Contrary to what Spider will tell you, I DO NOT remember Ruth.)
    As far as a favorite baseball player (a totally different thread, I know) Yogi Berra was mine. Brilliant behind the plate and the best bad-ball hitter I have ever seen.
    You are right, it is very hard to determine who is the best between the different era's of the game or any game for that matter. However we can give our opinions.

I think in today's game only so far only one player can compete with Mantle on being as good of a pure hitter and that is Pujols.

On a side not since you mentioned Nolan Ryan, he was my favorite player growing up. Man he could throw the heat!!!

I don't know if he is the best, but Nolan Ryan is a legend. 7 no hitters, are you kidding me? Owning Robin Ventura at 46 years old? He threw his last pitch in the majors with a torn ligament, and hit 98 mph.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

IMO:
    Pitcher: Greg Maddux or Walter Johnson
    Position player: Roberto Clemente or Ty Cobb

This is a fun topic. It might be fun to go through each position and choose the "best".

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    Barry Bonds.
    What are you smoking? It is not the greatest player on roids, just the Greatest player.

Ruth, Mantle, Yogi, I like all the oldtime Yankee's. Thurman Munson was my idol when I was growing up playing ball.
    http://www.youtube.com/TonyAvallone
    Dad of Karissa 155lb Varsity College Freshman