Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Slay/Gruenwald

Default Re: Slay/Gruenwald

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Nobody is accusing Gruenwald of anything. This was more an invitation to Slay to explain why Gruenwald didn't receive God's help. However, I can bet if Gruenwald did win gold he would bring up his faith and God as one of the reasons.
    No question about it.

The Petersons and Gruenwald who went to Mararantha (sp?) College where Ben was the wrestling coach and both Petersons have a wrestling camp use their accomplishments to glorify God; Slay seems to have it ass-backwards..........he uses God and his claimed relastionship to God to glorify himself and his accomplishments.

It is the difference between humble and hubris that distinguishes their positions

Ok, I'll sit the rest out........
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Nobody is accusing Gruenwald of anything. This was more an invitation to Slay to explain why Gruenwald didn't receive God's help. However, I can bet if Gruenwald did win gold he would bring up his faith and God as one of the reasons.
    By brining up Gruenwald's name next to a notorious radical with documented, both by himself and by neutral parties, suspect messages is an accusation in and of itself.

Of course Gruenwald is going to bring up his faith. Lots of people do, lots of non-Christians. I would bet any ammount of money you can pony up to say that Gruenwald may say something about God helping him, he would not say that God chose him to win.

How do you know Gruenwald didn't recieve God's help? Maybe there is a future accident waiting in Bejing that he will now avoid? Who knows, certainly not you or I.

Do you think that the fanatic Christian's who protest against homosexuality at Soldier's funerals are actually doing God's work? Or that they are doing it because the same God that Gruenwald or slay believes in is actually telling them that this is a good idea?

If thats the case, why aren't I there picketing with them? They are in Wisconsin all the time. Why isn't Slay there?

Faith helps a lot of people deal with a lot of things. Just because you may not believe that there is a higher power of some kind doesn't mean others have to as well.

Its called being uncomfortable with your own beliefs if you need to challenge, by name, people you don't even know or are here to defend themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by quick_single View Post

Feel free to lock this one as well but just wanted to post my opinion.
    I think we've wound with a "Slay is a big proselytizing asshole" thread in some form or another in the International section every three or four months since I started this board.

I didn't lock the first one to some how "protect" Gruenwald, I locked it because Big was trolling, and I knew all we'd get out of the thread is dumb posts by Big, angry posts by you, and maybe a few other posts from a smattering of defenders.

No offense or anything, but I seem to have some amazing foresight.

Olympic Champ

Ever since Gruenwald has announced his comeback I have been waiting to see if Slay were right. We all know Gruenwald is very religious. Remember Greco Johnson? Greco Johnson is Gruenwald's student.

its not like slay said "hey, i believe in god, i just showed up and he hand gifted me a gold." he simply said that through his belief in gods glory, it helped him win a gold. it is no difference in having your wifes support or a coach who instills confidence in you. gruenwald will tell you the exact same thing that slay said: his belief in god helped him become a better person and believe in himself more.

Olympic Champ

He said God allowed him to win Gold in order to give him a platform to share his faith. He turned Olympics into some religious spectacle.

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    Sorry, Quick. I have always respected your postings (even if I disagreed). I was referencing Big.
    no problem. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by architeuthis View Post
    By brining up Gruenwald's name next to a notorious radical with documented, both by himself and by neutral parties, suspect messages is an accusation in and of itself.
    Again I think it was more having to do with Slay's statements than singling out Gruenwald. Big could have just as easily said, God helped Saly win the Gold, why not [insert other devout Christian guy's name]. He probably brought up Jim because he recently competed and came up short. He was just calling Slay out on his bullshit.

Do you think that the fanatic Christian's who protest against homosexuality at Soldier's funerals are actually doing God's work? Or that they are doing it because the same God that Gruenwald or slay believes in is actually telling them that this is a good idea?

If thats the case, why aren't I there picketing with them? They are in Wisconsin all the time. Why isn't Slay there?
    Because they are both full of shit. They just have different agendas.