Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Evolution by design

Olympic Champ

A good Christian is not supposed to question the bible. Right or wrong?

Big following anything blindly especialy if you dont understand it would be wrong. As a Christian I need to study the word and challenge what I am reading. I need to understand all the aspects of the Bible and then make my decisions off of that. There are a hundred things that I question about the Bible.

Olympic Champ

Here is an example:

In high school my religious coach always called me selfish because I would ask the guys to stay with me after practice even if they did not want to. I would ask the coach to leave the mats in the field house for me to practice even though the season was over. My senior year I dropped a weight and pushed another teammate (who was a junior) to bump up who had no realistic chance of placing at National Preps that year. Well, I placed 2nd at National Preps at that weight class, helping myself, the team, and the coach look good. (The guy that bumped up placed 3rd his senior year)

So, you tell me whether I should have avoided breaking the rules to NOT BE CALLED SELFISH or done just as I did and reached some of my goals.

PS The coach got me into a Private school and my success meant his success, despite his lack of understanding it so much.

"Like I said if we want a change then start voting to get the candidates in office that have no religious affiliation."

I don't necessarily want candidates with no religious affiliation. I want candidates who respect my religious affiliation and will not enact legislation based upon their religion. All I'm saying is that religion does not belong in govenment (or in science). I know it's sometimes hard to separate religion and morality, but sometimes it's easy ("In God We Trust").

Spider,

Do you feel that your beliefs or valuse have been stepped on by religious rights? I think that we are on the same page its just that we are each going in a different direction.

Big what was the point of that.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Spider,

Do you feel that your beliefs or valuse have been stepped on by religious rights? I think that we are on the same page its just that we are each going in a different direction.
    To a very minor extent, I resent references to God on money and in the pledge of allegiance.

To a slightly greater extent, I resent nativity scenes paid for by municipal funds and on public property (but I don't mind Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny because I see them as seasonal things like Thanksgiving or Halloween).

To a much greater extent, I think that much, but not all, of the opposition to euthanasia and abortion is religious in origin. I do realize, however, that these may be opposed by thoughtful people on strictly moral grounds. I also resent the tax breaks that are given to religious organizations. Let them deduct their charitable expenses just like the rest of us, and pay taxes on the rest.

I am incensed when people try to introduce religious ideas like intelligent design into public school science classes.
    Last edited by Spider; 04-05-2007 at 03:40 PM.

Olympic Champ

Spider,

What about using religion to convince people to go to war and stuff? What about telling people in Churches who to vote for?

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Big what was the point of that.
    The point is at that school my extra training needs were considered out of place because season over meant "season over" and partners could stay after practice only with mutual agreement. I used my captain status to keep them training with me even after practice was over and sometimes against their will.

So, going by the bible I didn't love my neighbors as I loved myself because I did not honor the wishes of my teammates and I did not honor the rules of the school and my coach.