Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High School Wrestling Coaches Need a "Dress Code"

Default Re: High School Wrestling Coaches Need a "Dress Code"

I agree with Champ. My AD when I coached in NC made it clear, we were to always represent our school, and our sport to the utmost of respect. When coaching against a competitor, we were to never wear jeans and were to always wear at the very least a shirt with a collar with casual slacks There are so many ways to look nice when coaching without the jeans, t-shirt and all. Now for those who know me, they will tell you that I prefer jeans, even shorts and t's around the house and at play, but coaching as a profession should be represented as a profession, not a hobby or casual affair.

I will also say, that I have to admit, the standards are not quite as high for a kids tournament, weekend non school related tournament and so forth. I don't know if that is right, but I will say that even when coaching those tournaments, I try to make sure to present myself as a professional, which at the least means a shirt with a collar and a 'nice' pair of jeans. For school functions though, a totally different thing.
    The Virtual Pew
    Hollywood Jesus
    Personal Web Page
    MySpace Page
    Church Web Page

---------------------------

A certain amount of opposition is of great help to a man. Kites rise against, not with the wind. ~ John Neal

watching interviews conducted with the champions during the NC state finals this year, there is a coach you can see in the background wearing a t-shirt and mesh shorts. Crack is showing. This is while coaching during the FINALS.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

This is from the state finals in Indiana this year during the quarters.
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

I agree with Champ. I am just amazed at some of the "stuff" coaches wear to competions. Just makes you ask..."what the hell?"

BTW nice photo of a great example.

Here where I am at in Ohio you see most of the top notch programs in kacki's and Polo shirt with the schools logo.

I do agree that a lot of coaches need to class it up a little.

I know personally that if Champ kind can do it............Anyone can "class it up a little" He makes an exceptional point add class to brutality and it will drastically improve the perception of our sport. Even Tom Brands dresses appropriately so I don't think it's a stretch for a High School coach to be expected to do so.
    How many teachers go to work in T-shirts? Admin I do not believe would approve.
    2 cents

I bet you can count on one hand the number of times you have seen me with a collared shirt and nice pants!
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ Kind View Post

I sit at work 10 hours a day in khakis and am comfortable. I'm not saying a suit and tie, but a nice pair of khakis and a polo shirt would do wonders for the perception of the sport.

Exaclty! SIT in a nice comfortable chair, in an air conditioned room, in a calm enviroment.

Unless you are being paid like a college coach the High School should just be happy the coaches care, and are willing to put in the time they already do.

There are numerous coaches who coach in khakis and a polo. I have never heard them say they aren't comfortable.

Its about making our sport look good by doing something so simple like looking professional! You don't think the administrators see this? When the coaches treat the sport as a second class sport. the administrators will also. The perception of wrestling in general is that its a bunch of hillbillies wrasslin' and the coaches aren't helping things when they go in jeans and t-shirts and hats. Half the time people can't decipher if someone is a coach or just a fan that is getting close to the action!