Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

Originally Posted by Tight-Waist
    You can add in threats to regulate political speech on the radio. And not just "shout downs" but speech codes and other politically correct motivated rules on behavior.

How so? I'm a member of the ACLU and if we hear of this we'll take up the case. How are they doing this?
    Its the so-called Fairness Doctrine that regulates and tells broadcasters how and who they can put on their shows and the ACLU thinks its a wonderfull idea.

I should also mention their resistance to fully compensate landowners after telling them how they can and cant utilize their own land.

Who is "they?" The government, who hasn't been fully compensating people for land since long before Gingrich brought in the current wave of political division and partisanship? Is "they" GW Bush, who wanted to increase imminent domain during the early days of his "presidency?" Who is "they?"
    It is environmentalists who fought tooth and nail against requiring the government to compensate landowners after some EcoNut bureaucrat deemed his property wetlands or in any other way limited the full maximization of its economic potential.

And their love for regulation of political speech during campaigns.

How have liberals done this? Didn't your presidential candidate also play a role in this? How does this jibe with "originalism?" Did the founders see money as speech?

It ISNT just the money ban (and yes... if you limit how much can be given to a group who lobbies on your behalf you have limited their speech) its an outright BAN on ads in the months and weeks prior to elections.

When did the Fairness Doctrine become law? I never saw that.

So, one instance of this apparent widespread "econut catastrophe?" Furthermore, not sure how thaqt restricts freedom when the government compensates for it. Furthermore, how do we know that that law wasn't written by conservatives that allowed that? I don't.

As for the banning of ads, all parties are banned during this time period; it wasn't a partisan issue, as both parties showed support for this. In addition, both parties "suffer" from it. Doesn't seem to be too much of a liberal dominated thing to me.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    When did the Fairness Doctrine become law? I never saw that.

I WAS law before 1987. Liberals want to reinstate it.

So, one instance of this apparent widespread "econut catastrophe?" Furthermore, not sure how thaqt restricts freedom when the government compensates for it. Furthermore, how do we know that that law wasn't written by conservatives that allowed that? I don't.

The point is the EcoNuts fought AGAINST just compensation!

As for the banning of ads, all parties are banned during this time period; it wasn't a partisan issue, as both parties showed support for this. In addition, both parties "suffer" from it. Doesn't seem to be too much of a liberal dominated thing to me.
    It is an incumbant protection policy! To the extent it favors incumbants and it most assuredly does, it hurts ALL Americans. It just so happens that virtually all Democrats and a few Republicans like McCain favor it.
    Why hasnt your ACLU spoken out AGAINST the reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine?

They have misconstrued freedom of speech in any number of areas why arent the defending political radio talk?

Quote Originally Posted by Tight-Waist View Post
    Why hasnt your ACLU spoken out AGAINST the reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine?

They have misconstrued freedom of speech in any number of areas why arent the defending political radio talk?
    Because it hasn't become law yet. The ACLU doesn't publicly take stands, they litigate and challenge rulings. There is no law for them to even consider. At this point, it's pure speculation, hyperbole, and further attempts to pit American against American.

Because it hasn't become law yet. The ACLU doesn't publicly take stands, they litigate and challenge rulings. There is no law for them to even consider. At this point, it's pure speculation, hyperbole, and further attempts to pit American against American.

Are you really implying that the ACLU never objects to a law BEFORE it is enacted??????

(Dont step into that beartrap Ban)

Quote Originally Posted by Tight-Waist View Post
    Are you really implying that the ACLU never objects to a law BEFORE it is enacted??????

(Dont step into that beartrap Ban)
    It's not their job to. They are a legal advocacy group to protect civil liberties. Their interest is not in something until it becomes law.

Do they have opinions? Sure, but there are conservative and liberals ACLU members and not a one of them will agree on everything. To them, that's irrelevant. What is relevant is law.

It's not their job to. They are a legal advocacy group to protect civil liberties. Their interest is not in something until it becomes law.

Do they have opinions? Sure, but there are conservative and liberals ACLU members and not a one of them will agree on everything. To them, that's irrelevant. What is relevant is law.
    (Im not talking about individule members here Im talking about the ACLU organization)

So are you saying that when your ACLU makes policy statements or issues opinions on laws yet enacted, they are wrong and exceed their mission???

Round of 12

ban - Obama called for Imus's job as soon as the comments became an item. You should know about your Daddy before you vote for him.

I LOVE THIS THREAD! The extremists from the right are just frothing. It will only get sweeter on election night in November! Rant on fascists.