Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Respect: SI's 25 Toughest

Default Re: No Respect: SI's 25 Toughest

Quote Originally Posted by ideamark View Post
    PS What kind of coverage did SI give the 2008 NCAAs?
    I actually wrote them a letter about that two days ago. It's been "passed on to the Articles Department."

Quote Originally Posted by angelfish View Post
    I actually wrote them a letter about that two days ago. It's been "passed on to the Articles Department."
    "Passed on" is the key phrase.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Personally, I can't argue with #4 - but to ignore Robles, Jaggers, Perry, Kyle Maynard and a hundred others - Pi$$ poor journalism.

Once again a lack of understanding of the sport leads to lack of coverage and the inability to accurately put together a list of the top 25 TOUGHEST athletes. There are few writers that understand the sport of wrestling and the blood, sweat and tears that it takes to push youself on the mat to be the best. Seeing the list makes me want to puke and makes me even more determined to explain the sport of wrestling to people. Golf, Basketball, Driving cars,,,unbelievable. I hope I live to see the day where the sport of wrestling moves into the main stream and can shine as a true test of athletic ability, guts and determination. What is it going to take? Can anyone answer that?

Olympic Champ

I gave up on SI years ago. As a kid they very much gave almost all sports their due. Wrestling may not have made the cover a lot, but during the season the NCAA's were always covered, with at least a couple of other articles on individuals. Olympic wrestlers were covered extensively in 72 and 76. Back then SI had a more "Wide World of Sports" mind set (old folks know what I am talking about) where all the sports were covered. But nowadays they are just another version of their two main competitors.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

Olympic Champ

FWIW though..... just because SI has a narrow view of sports doesn't mean that other sports should be trashed as a result. Anybody who has every raced in any sort of competitive motor sports knows how tough that is. The mental aspects of racing match any sport, and the physical challenge of keeping on top of everything around you, in physically taxing conditions, for long periods of time, with the consequences being you serious injury/death or you causing somebody elses serious injury/death are not to be underestimated. I have never been so brain dead tired than after a long race.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

Trashing other sports is not my goal. I would like to hear about wrestling. That's it, that's all I ask. Give the sport of wrestling some coverage. If it is going to take the "wide world of sports" mentality then where do I sign.

You have got to be kidding me. Ok, this ticks me right off man. As soon as I finish this nasty American beer with no hops, I am going to hammer out a harshly worded email to SI they won't soon forget.

Ok, not harsh -- but a very firm tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rotundo View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...tes/index.html

Not a wrestler in sight. Sigh.

The MMA community is happy they got a few guys in.

Good one: "13 Kobe Bryant: What makes him tough: He's impervious to outside distractions* and plays with a single-mindedness that is seen in few athletes." * Like, say, being charged with sexual assault and buy his way out of it? Great roll model.

Or "18 Ron Artest: Defining moment: In one of the NBA's uglier moments, Artest and Stephen Jackson, then members of the Pacers, charged into the stands and fought with fans in the final minute of a game at Detroit's Palace of Auburn Hills in Nov. 2004." Fight with fans in 2004, get praised in 2008!

How can they list any wrestlers when they don't even cover the sport? I was quite surprised not see any Texas Hold-em "athletes."