Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bump 3 off the list

Default Re: Bump 3 off the list

I am saddened you left Larkin off the list. I think he is one of the 25 best and I think he was one of the top 5 to watch wrestle period.

Quote Originally Posted by wrestler27 View Post
    The final between Perry and Tannenbaum was absolute domination. I've seen closer matches end up a major decision. Perry has to be on the list.
    I try to reserve terms like "absolute domination" for blowouts, but I agree Perry controlled the whole match.

I'm surprised you left two people in particular off... I might be more surprised about others, but I don't know anything about a lot of those people. But Kevin Randleman was a 3x Finalist and 2-time Champ (one with a busted jaw) in only 3 years of competition. The other surprise is Joe Heskett. I know he only one it once, but he did finish in the top 3 all 4 years and was seeded #1 all 4 years--a symbol of his dominance

Now that I'm actually ranking these guys, I've got a top 13 that I like pretty good.

On the other hand, 14-25 has been pretty tricky, I've already reshuffled through four or so different orders for those guys.

I wanted to put Heskett on the list badly, I really did, but 25 is a finite number.

One thing I've learned doing this that I found really cool was just how good Tim Krieger was. If they had message boards back in the day he's probably one of the people who would get bashed for being a "staller", but all the dude did was win.

On another note too, I'm absolutely baffled when it comes to what to do with Mark Branch.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    The other surprise is Joe Heskett. I know he only one it once, but he did finish in the top 3 all 4 years and was seeded #1 all 4 years--a symbol of his dominance
    Not to mention, the matches he lost at NCAAs were 2-2 TB, 4-2 OT and 3-1 OT. But, as I've said before, close don't count.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Olympic Champ

Heskett's record in college was something like 143-10. I bet that's better than a lot of your top 25ers have.

ISU2008 - I love the allusion to the Dude in your signature

I have to agree with someone when they said that "NCAA performance, is what really counts here" because there are a lot of wrestlers who would dominate during the season that never quite made it happen at the NCAA's.

Leroy Vega is one of the best 125 pounders of the past 8 years, no doubt. Getting caught and pinned as a freshman, followed by the talented Jody Strittmatter and Stephen Abas in his brackets, Vega was never able to make the finals. Then as a Senior he had the worst tournament one could have asked for and didn't even make All American. It's sad to me that he's remembered for that and not for the outstanding dominate wrestler that he was. Although Vega may not have been the Stephen Abas of his time, he's head and heels over many other 125 pounders who get mention. I'd take Vega over just about anyone. He was that damn good and that damn tough.
    "Within all of us there burns a passion of fire. Forever feel the heat from the flames of your desire"

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Heskett's record in college was something like 143-10. I bet that's better than a lot of your top 25ers have.
    I've got 7 guys on the list with more losses than Heskett's ten.

The thing that handicaps him in comparison to those guys is that 4 of them have 3 titles, and if you have 3 titles you get to be on my list somewhere.

The other three have two, and all were at least equal to Heskett's 3 finals appearances.