Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why so little coverage of the NCAA in the media?

Default Re: Why so little coverage of the NCAA in the media?

I am trying to build fans one at a time. I brought neighbors over for a cook-out and then sprung it on them. It brought up alot of interesting conversation although the finals can be a hard way to break people in and matches are generally not seen as "exciting" for a new fan in the finals.

Matches like 133 and 149 were nice to see as well as the ones where Jaggers and Perry got hurt and then gutted it out for victories.

The other thing that is going to help is the popularity of MMA and Ultimate Fighting that bring exposure to the sport. I am going to try to get a wrestling club together down here in Tampa since I don't think my kids should have to go all the way down to Brandon to learn how to wrestle. Maybe just some dads and their kids wanting to learn the basics. Any volunteers to assist? Vak?
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by grapplefan View Post
    The Hawkeyes are not Iowa's pro team. The Cubs and Bears and Vikes and Packers are Iowa pro teams. It is almost provincial for people in large metro areas not to see their larger sphere of influence. In Maine, they follow the Red Sox and Patriots, but Maine doesn't have a pro team either.
    Do you have daily reporters covering every move those teams make? Is at least a page dedicated to each of these teams, plus all column space? This is true for three newspapers in Chicago. I'm not saying this to belittle Iowa, or to be provincial, but I also think that it's tough to get coverage in major media markets, and that can be hard for people outside those markets to understand. I used to work in PR, so I know too well how true this is.

World Champ

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    I am trying to build fans one at a time. I brought neighbors over for a cook-out and then sprung it on them. It brought up alot of interesting conversation although the finals can be a hard way to break people in and matches are generally not seen as "exciting" for a new fan in the finals.

Matches like 133 and 149 were nice to see as well as the ones where Jaggers and Perry got hurt and then gutted it out for victories.

The other thing that is going to help is the popularity of MMA and Ultimate Fighting that bring exposure to the sport. I am going to try to get a wrestling club together down here in Tampa since I don't think my kids should have to go all the way down to Brandon to learn how to wrestle. Maybe just some dads and their kids wanting to learn the basics. Any volunteers to assist? Vak?
    That's my method too. Each one teach one. I see this as community organizing more than marketing. MMA is going to be a HUGE influence.

My son's teacher is a jiu-jitsu Pan Am games medalist and she is wanting to learn some mat skills now. Her brothers were wrestlers from Ohio and she is accutely aware now of the importance of taking an opponent down.

Because wrestling is generally an inexpensive sport and can be done at school and not outside of the school like karate it should pick up in my opinion.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

World Champ

Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    Do you have daily reporters covering every move those teams make? Is at least a page dedicated to each of these teams, plus all column space? This is true for three newspapers in Chicago. I'm not saying this to belittle Iowa, or to be provincial, but I also think that it's tough to get coverage in major media markets, and that can be hard for people outside those markets to understand. I used to work in PR, so I know too well how true this is.
    They have YOUR reporters. They buy YOUR newspapers. They listen to YOUR broadcasts. Some of my friends back in Iowa watch every Cubs and Bears game they can. I agree that it's tough to get media coverage in major markets. But if Northwestern were to win a National Championship, I bet you'd see some significant coverage in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by grapplefan View Post
    They have YOUR reporters. They buy YOUR newspapers. They listen to YOUR broadcasts. Some of my friends back in Iowa watch every Cubs and Bears game they can. I agree that it's tough to get media coverage in major markets. But if Northwestern were to win a National Championship, I bet you'd see some significant coverage in Chicago.
    And when they did in women's lacrosse, there was. But I'm just saying that it's not fair to compare the Chicago Tribune and the Iowa Press-Citizen. I'm not comparing the fans, I'm comparing the papers.

World Champ

And when they did in women's lacrosse, there was. But I'm just saying that it's not fair to compare the Chicago Tribune and the Iowa Press-Citizen. I'm not comparing the fans, I'm comparing the papers.
    Yeah, I wouldn't compare them either. I just wanted to give GG a little support up there on the soapbox.

Who do you have to contend with in Iowa, the triple A Cubs?
    Not that there's anything wrong with the Triple A Cubs! (Bluestater, I'll send you some pictures. I know you'll like 'em.)

World Champ

Send her some travel brochures to beautiful downtown Des Moines too.