Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Rant on Race

Default Re: A Rant on Race

Good points, Matclone. I did grow up calling black people Negro ("The Negros took our dates"), but I understand that Negro or Negroid carry a negative connotation. I just don't think that subdividing the term, "American" in order to identify or racial or ethnic identity is necessary.

I'll never forget when we were giving oral book reports in the fourth grade (1956). One kid had read a sports book about a white basketball team playing against a black team. He referred to the other team as "colored," and the teacher jumped right in and said (I can hear it is if it were yesterday), "What do you mean by a colored team? We all are colored, some lighter and some darker. I don't think this book is suitable for a book report. Please sit down." Her non-discriminatory point of view was laudable, but her avoidance of an opportunity to explore the important and sensitive issue of racism was not. That book was probably the most appropriate of any book the class had read.

Bi-cultural restaurants usually do accurately portray they type of food served, and don't just mean that they are a Mexican restaurant located in America. And by the way, the guy on the can with the Chef's hat was Chef Boy-R-Dee. Franco-American had a gold seal as it's logo (if I recall without Googlling it)
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Olympic Champ

I think its African-american because UNLIKE Polish or Irish americans, Africans were brought to America by force as slaves. Hence they don't want to completely be called Americans. They are Africans that were forced to be Americans.

Spider, you will appreciate this. Our HS wrestling team is VERY mixed. Not just black and white and we have kids who are interesting ethnic mixes. The kids who are what others might lump together as "African-American" are often first generation Americans from Jamaica and Haiti, so it's a cultural melting pot too.
    As a parent, your kids have a way of telling you if they think you are prying or asking questions that they don't think are acceptable. So I have to laugh about the time I asked my son how the darkest kid on the team got to be Jewish. He just shrugged and said "His mom is Jewish."
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

Olympic Champ

Lets not pretend like its all great. Black people were slaves. Irish and Polish were not!

Olympic Champ

Its the same way as when we say Native americans.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    And by the way, the guy on the can with the Chef's hat was Chef Boy-R-Dee. Franco-American had a gold seal as it's logo (if I recall without Googlling it)
    Boy-R you right. I always get the two mixed up.

Good story about your class in 1956. In the teacher's defense, she may not have known how to follow through with a discussion about racism. I'm sure it was a very sensitive topic then and she probably had no training whatsoever on the issue (unlike what a teacher might have today).

I have another 4th or 5th grade story (circa 1968): we were lucky to have general music teachers then, although Mrs. Jones (probably 50-something in age) wasn't the most popular teacher because she could be crabby. Anyway, she made a point of telling us one time, (you have to consider the times), about going to a concert (classical music of course) where the audience had segregated itself--white people sat on one side of the aisle, and black people on the other, and how she sat with the black people because she had a better view.
    Last edited by matclone; 03-04-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Lets not pretend like its all great. Black people were slaves. Irish and Polish were not!
    How wonderfully poignant to our discussion...

I recall that a reason for "blacks" wanting to be called African-American was to reflect some pride in their heritage, similar to the way 2nd generation immigrants see themselves as Irish-American or Italian-American.
    It makes sense to me for people to want to feel a connection to their past and wanting more to their heritage than just slavery.

I agree with ODH that it is okay to have pride in your history. There is nothing wrong with that at all. I think it is important for each person to know their history.

However, I would really like to get to the point where we can do that and just be Americans. I do not see Hispanic Americans or African Americans. I see Americans.

We are still a very young nation and it will take time for people to get to that point espically with the hardships that certain nationalities and races had to go through.