Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: One thing that makes people in communist countries more fun and friendly

Default Re: One thing that makes people in communist countries more fun and friendly

Sl, i am not talking about what it takes to qaulify, i am talking about the content of the course. I am not 100 percent sure on this as obviously i only study engineering, but i have heard very many people say Medicine is much easier than Engineering.
    Engineering is a much wider subject as well, you can do low level engineering, i am talking about degree level and masters.
    Engineering is a hard science, lots of physics and lots of maths.

I am not sure what your grades mean SL, we have a different system here. I also get the feeling its much harder to get into medecine in America than the rest of the world. It seems education is just much harder to get into and an elitist thing in America. Where i live if you are poor you get loads of money to study. I got a lot of money this year and i am not even poor i got like $8K in non repayable and another $10K in repayable loans. I know a guy who got $26K in none repayable loans to study. Man i am glad i don;'t live in the US.

Flop the nuts what qaulifications did you get to become an engineer? I know some people who became engineers just as apprentecises, not the same as being a chartered engineer (my goal).

Default Re: One thing that makes people in communist countries more fun and friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Caspiantiger View Post
    Flop the nuts what qaulifications did you get to become an engineer? I know some people who became engineers just as apprentecises, not the same as being a chartered engineer (my goal).
    4-year undergraduate degree, Bachelor's of Science. Masters in Business later on, and the engineering undergrad helped with that.

I don't work as an engineer, but my college degree is in engineering.

So you work as a manager then with your MB?

I might do that, get an MBA then become a manager, but i quite like a masters of engineering. Hmmm.... only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    flop the nuts, the course to become a doctor is easier than that to become an engineer.

I'm an engineer, and I entirely disagree with that statement.
    I am an Engineer as well and agree with Flop.
    Caspian Tier, I take it you are still a student. I find Engineering students to be self absorbed and impressed with the work they are doing. Alot this will go away once you start working in Industry.

Engineering may be one of the hardest undergraduate degrees, but don't fool yourself. Getting certified as an Engineer does not compare to becoming a Doctor.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I am an Engineer as well and agree with Flop.
    Caspian Tier, I take it you are still a student. I find Engineering students to be self absorbed and impressed with the work they are doing. Alot this will go away once you start working in Industry.

Engineering may be one of the hardest undergraduate degrees, but don't fool yourself. Getting certified as an Engineer does not compare to becoming a Doctor.
    That's obviously an American nurtured opinion though. In many other countries engineering is a more prestigious career than medicine.

In America medicine is given much weight due to rich people wanting to have the best possible chance in treating any life threatening diseases. Sure, poor people benefit as well but the standard is developed based on those with big wallets.

Yes it is an American nutured opinion becasue I have lived my whole life in the US. I think as an Engineer though I have a reasonable perspective of what it takes to become one.

Big,
    Maybe you can confirm this, but I remember hearing that in the former Soviet Union (and other communist countries) many of the doctors were women and becasue of this becoming a Dr. lost a lot of its prestige. I don't know if this is true it is just a vague recollection I have.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Yes it is an American nutured opinion becasue I have lived my whole life in the US. I think as an Engineer though I have a reasonable perspective of what it takes to become one.

Big,
    Maybe you can confirm this, but I remember hearing that in the former Soviet Union (and other communist countries) many of the doctors were women and becasue of this becoming a Dr. lost a lot of its prestige. I don't know if this is true it is just a vague recollection I have.
    That is not true. It depended on profession really. Many pediatricians were probably women but not so for surgery and dentistry. Many of those were men.

Communists valued doctors but medicine wasn't worshipped like it is in America. Avoidance of diseases was much more promoted than treating them. Soviets thought the more doctors are worshipped the more people will accept getting sick.

Engineers were the real heroes in Soviet Union because they built up the country. Most doctors were about as important as accountants in America. You use them only when you really need them.

Olympic Champ

In America seeing doctors and getting drugs from them is like brushing your teeth. Depressed? Here is a pill. High blood pressure? Here is a pill. High cholesterol? Here is a pill. Can't sleep? Here is a pill. Don't like your nose? Here is a plastic surgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    In America seeing doctors and getting drugs from them is like brushing your teeth. Depressed? Here is a pill. High blood pressure? Here is a pill. High cholesterol? Here is a pill. Can't sleep? Here is a pill. Don't like your nose? Here is a plastic surgeon.
    It's a beautiful thing, living in America. Otherwise, I guess everyone would just have to suffer through depression, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.