Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mayweather v. De La Hoya

Round of 12

This fight showed what's wrong with the game, the favorite son can run, fight in flurries and get the nod, you try that and you would lose for lack of aggression. For the favorite son though it's a supurb defensive exhibition.

Likewise, if the FS pushes the fight and gets hit coming in, he made the fight and was the effective agressor, you do that and the FS used ring generalship and boxing savy to pick you apart.

Heads I win, tails you lose. No thanks.

Sgallan, Mayweather did nothing like those fighters did. All those fighters would all eventually stop running and beat their opponents into the ground. Mayweather never did that.
    Curtis Chenoweth
    wannabe national champ headed to a new home:walkman:

A major criteria in scoring a fight is "effective aggression". I would say that neither fighter was "effectively aggressive", so that criteria is even.

Another criteria is "ring generalship". Neither fighter took command of the fight - DLH tried to force the action, while Mayweather employed a counterpunch strategy.

Neither fighter hurt the other guy, so you can't base the scoring on that.

All you are really left with is clean shots, and Mayweather landed the majority of clean shots. It was a hard fight to score, but when neither fighter gets rocked, you have to go with punch count.

By the way, it's ironic that anyone would argue that the judges and boxing in general didn't want DLH to win. DLH is still the most marketable fighter in the world, and King, Arum, and everyone else will line up their fighters to fight him. The PPV revenue was higher than any other fight, and DLH is said to have made $40 mil for the fight, and PBF will make over $20 mil.

By the way, you need to watch this fight more than once, in my opinion. I was at a party and had a little heater on when it was originally broadcast, and I thought that DLH may have pulled it out. I watched it again without the benefit of alcohol the next day, and I think that PBF won the fight.

Just a little window into the Flop The Nuts weekend for you...

Olympic Champ

Sgallan, Mayweather did nothing like those fighters did. All those fighters would all eventually stop running and beat their opponents into the ground. Mayweather never did that.

Not always. I think I have seen more than 20 of all those guys fights and each and everyone of them had fights that they just went out and 'won' by boxing and landing more punches. Ali Frazier II was a good example of such a fight. Hit and tie, hit and tie, and just win the fight.

That's true, but I don't think Mayweather was hitting like they did. I just don't think he fought enough to win the fight. No doubt Mayweather's a great boxer, but he sucked it up and lost in my opinion.
    Curtis Chenoweth
    wannabe national champ headed to a new home:walkman: