Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91617181920 LastLast

Thread: Cael Sanderson to Penn State University

Olympic Champ

Default Re: Cael Sanderson to Penn State University

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Steve and Matclone, I don't know much about the situatiion. I just get skeptical when people say "money isn't the deal", especially when a change of scenery DOES mean a large increase in money. Especially when Sanderson's current team is arguably the favorite (or at least a favorite) to win a title right away.

Regardless of Sanderson's actual reasons for leaving, I'm not sure that claiming "I want to win national championships" is the best PR move. I personally don't care where he coaches, but if I was an ISU fan I would be pretty upset. Who among us wouldn't want a large increase in salary? However, claiming you left your 3rd-place school because they can't win a championship.. that hurts.
    arm-spin, I totally agree.

A couple of answers:

Can a booster contact a coach? No rule agin it. But any booster that would usurp an AD would quickly find himself disassociated from the athletic department in a second. Beside, what coach would even take a call from some one unknown claiming to offer a boat of cash and a signing bonus?

Do you really think Sanderson called PSU looking for more money? I doubt it. I can believe a loaded benefactor telling Curley to check Sanderson out and drop the package value on him, just to see what happens.

Like JRob, the Sanderson Wrestling camp is independent of the university. This is a key reason the numbers are so high. Penn State operates their camps and retains the revenue. Penn State had to offset the the loss of personal income from his camps. Sanderson operated 8 weeks of camps.

"Cael Sanderson?s Wrestling Camps are not an Iowa State University Camp, but is operated independently. Permission to use ISU Trademarks is granted under agreement by Iowa State University."
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    Do you really think Sanderson called PSU looking for more money? I doubt it.
    I kind of doubt it too. But then, I kind of doubt he contacted them out of the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    I can believe a loaded benefactor telling Curley to check Sanderson out and drop the package value on him, just to see what happens.
    That is a more plausible scenario.

World Champ

I'm trying to sort out the motivation for Cael Sanderson taking the PSU job. Which is of these factor in?

1. Money.
    Nothing against making money, but it's usually not the single most important factor for a thoughtful person. Cael seems thoughtful. But whenever someone says it's not about the money, that generally means it's about the money. How much was it really? How much more money than he made at ISU does he need to support his family, if the reason was the needs of his family? Did ISU get a chance to make a counter offer?

2. Cael wanted to go where he could win championships.
    In other words, he's saying he couldn't win championships at ISU. He recruited some of the best talent at ISU. ISU has won nationals before multiple times, more than PSU. The fans in Ames know and appreciate wrestling as much as any in the nation, and show up in greater numbers than at PSU. Some ISU meets are on public television in Iowa. (Bet they're watching Masterpiece Theater on PBS in on Saturday nights in Happy Valley.)
    If he couldn't win championships there, it was either because:
    (a) Championships can't be won at ISU. Better cover up the trophies. Tell that to the next coach, too.
    (b) Sanderson can't win championships at ISU, meaning he's no Harold Nichols. Do they know this in Happy Valley? What evidence do they have that he can win championships there when he didn't win them in Ames?

3. There's a management problem with the ISU athletic department. Duh. They change coaches like people change socks. Someone needs to leave Ames, but it wasn't Cael.

4. PSU has the best wrestling facilities (than nearly anyone.) Basically, this is a fairly cheap sport that requires wrestlers, a mat, and a referee. Other schools have new and improved facilities (Oklahoma, Mizzou, Cornell.) Would he have taken one of those jobs if they had come open?

5. He just needed a change. This is the most plausible to me. Sometimes we all do. Maybe this will turn out like Gable moving to Iowa City, or maybe it will be like Spates moving to Norman. Time will tell.
    Last edited by grapplefan; 04-19-2009 at 04:06 PM.

The two scenarios that seem plausible to me are

1. Ryou's scenario of a loaded benefactor telling Curley to check Sanderson out and drop the package value on him, just to see what happens. Considering how quickly this seemed to happen, PSU must of have the money lined up already.

2. Cael was somewhat discontent at ISU because of a personality conflict at ISU (100% pure pseculation on my part). He is not really looking for a job, but knows things could be better at ISU. The Penn State job opens up and he gives them a call just to check it out, not really serious about leaving. When PSU thinks there is a possibility of getting Cael they go all out. When Cael sees the oppurtunity and dollars, it does not make sense not to take it. This seems likely to me, because I have changed jobs in the same way (although PSU was more anxious to get Cael than any employer was for me). Not really discontent, but hearing of an oppurtunity and checking it out just to see what is possible. New situations can look tempting especially if you have personlaity issues with one of your superiors.

I don't buy that he didn't think he could win or recruit at ISU. Lots of evidence against in his short tenure at ISU.

Excellent discussion. Light years ahead of other message boards.

Stardust offered having heard that Penn St touched based with Sanderson first and was "rebuffed" more or less.

Under this scenario Sanderson may have been surprised or caught off guard. After taking time to reflect, perhaps, he then came to a decision to initiate serious discussions with the Penn St. folks who had already shown interest.

I agree with the likelihood that thoughts about the challenge and the opportunity were uppermost in his mind, though money would have certainly been a consideration. Maybe just the idea of a change, as was suggested above, had appeal.

One could speculate that his re-contact with Penn State electrified some of the decision-makers, who set wheels in motion and quickly.
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    The two scenarios that seem plausible to me are

1. Ryou's scenario of a loaded benefactor telling Curley to check Sanderson out and drop the package value on him, just to see what happens. Considering how quickly this seemed to happen, PSU must of have the money lined up already.
    There are some PSU boosters who have had the money put aside and waiting for this opportunity for several years.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

Ever since I first heard/read the rumors, I have been trying to learn all I can about Cael's job change, reading every news story and sports commentary I can get my hands on, as well as listening to Cael's interview with Scott Casber & Co. on Rev. This forum has provided some really meaty food for thought...

I'm hoping that someday, Cael will feel comfortable telling the story in detail -- who initiated contact and why... how the whole scenario unfolded, minute by minute... and how the decision was ultimately made. I hope we don't have to wait until he's 75 years old, working on his memoir (or willing to talk to a 96-year-old me for a RevRewind piece ;-) because I think there's probably some interesting drama here that we'd all enjoy hearing. And, perhaps, some important lessons for coaches and for athletic directors, too.

Mark

I think Cael just wanted to shake things up because he knew otherwise we'd all be bored right now.