Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is Absurd

Olympic Champ

Default Re: This is Absurd

I think it's less our view toward our legislators than it is our readiness and willingness to find something wrong about those who are different than us. Snopes addressed this issue nicely under their disussion of "Origins", without alluding to any, uh, shall we say, less than desirable psychological tendencies of people (oops, but I did).

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    And isn't it a shame that we have such a low opinion of our legislators that we would believe something like this without question.
    And yet we vote incumbents in at a rate of over 85% for the senate and over 95% for the House. What's that say about the voting populace?

Quote Originally Posted by therick View Post
    And yet we vote incumbents in at a rate of over 85% for the senate and over 95% for the House. What's that say about the voting populace?
    Wow i didn't realize the numbers were that high. I wonder why considering the low approval rating of congress.

Olympic Champ

As I suggested on the other thread, it (voting in incumbents) may have something to do with the way we fund elections. Also, I generally have a high opinion of most legislators (I may be in the minority). Most are smart, hard-working, and generally try to do well. We tend to take our relative absence of corruption for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    Wow i didn't realize the numbers were that high. I wonder why considering the low approval rating of congress.
    Because most people like the job their reps are doing, but are pissed at the rest of them.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    Because most people like the job their reps are doing, but are pissed at the rest of them.
    Is it that people actually like the job their reps are doing or they are just used to voting for them? What was that movie where Eddie Murphy played a character that got into congress on name recognition? I am beginning to think that the movie wasn't too far off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    I think it's less our view toward our legislators than it is our readiness and willingness to find something wrong about those who are different than us. Snopes addressed this issue nicely under their disussion of "Origins", without alluding to any, uh, shall we say, less than desirable psychological tendencies of people (oops, but I did).
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean that we don't want to allocate funds for recent immigrants because of their cultural differences? I think that the point of the original [mis]information was that a relatively exhorbitant sum was being offered to people who have done little to earn it, while many long term citizens who have contributed to the system are struggling.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    As I suggested on the other thread, it (voting in incumbents) may have something to do with the way we fund elections. Also, I generally have a high opinion of most legislators (I may be in the minority). Most are smart, hard-working, and generally try to do well. We tend to take our relative absence of corruption for granted.
    I share your opinion for the most part, but I also believe that many politicians put themselves first and will do whatever it takes within legal parameters to raise funds and win reelection. They are often more concerned with image than substance, and vote in ways that will do them the most good, not necessarily the country.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I share your opinion for the most part, but I also believe that many politicians put themselves first and will do whatever it takes within legal parameters to raise funds and win reelection. They are often more concerned with image than substance, and vote in ways that will do them the most good, not necessarily the country.
    I agree. I guess my somewhat obtuse point was that the way we fund elections generally requires that politicians focus on doing what it takes to raise funds and win reelection (and thus retain their power).