Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 28 to 36 of 38

Thread: Huckabee, Obama Take Iowa Caucuses

  1. #28

    Default Re: Huckabee, Obama Take Iowa Caucuses

    Quote Originally Posted by skipster View Post
    While I am all for fiscal conservatism, is supporting business really a bad thing? Don't most of usin this country work for or in some kind of business? If conditions are good for our employers, they will be good for us. One thing is for sure -- if times are hard for our employers, they will be even harder for us.
    Things are going swimmingly for Big Oil.

    How much does it cost to fill your gas tank now?

  2. #29

    Default Re: Huckabee, Obama Take Iowa Caucuses

    Quote Originally Posted by ctc View Post
    He (ctc) reminds of a kid, oh, of about 14 years of age, who goes around trying to pick fights with other kids over nothing. His perspective and knowledge of American history (in particular his usual ignorant comments about racism) is also not too far removed from that of a typical teenager.

    You made my day. (I couldn't help but notice that you would not answer the question about whether I am a racist or not). You're beautiful, man.
    How many other wrestling boards do you troll other than this one and the other one? How many repeat posts of the same exact language will you type before you realize that no one cares?

  3. #30
    National Finalist
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    832

    Default Re: Huckabee, Obama Take Iowa Caucuses

    How many repeat posts of the same exact language will you type before you realize that no one cares? - password

    I had two of them. Once I noticed that a select few that revert predictably to calling people "racists" without proper justification, I started a second thread to publicly call them out to give their input. You will notice that both threads had much response to them (positive) by other posters. You can call that "trolling" if it makes you happy.
    How many repeat posts of the same exact language will you type before you realize that no one cares?
    Your observation skills suck.

  4. #31

    Default Re: Huckabee, Obama Take Iowa Caucuses

    Quote Originally Posted by skipster View Post
    While I am all for fiscal conservatism, is supporting business really a bad thing? Don't most of usin this country work for or in some kind of business? If conditions are good for our employers, they will be good for us. One thing is for sure -- if times are hard for our employers, they will be even harder for us.
    Skipster, your argument makes too much sense to resonate with some people on these boards. Don't you see how much better the US would be if the Feds increased taxes and placed greater restrictions on big biz? Companies are just big evil entities - no one actually makes their living there.

  5. #32
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Huckabee, Obama Take Iowa Caucuses

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    Skipster, your argument makes too much sense to resonate with some people on these boards. Don't you see how much better the US would be if the Feds increased taxes and placed greater restrictions on big biz? Companies are just big evil entities - no one actually makes their living there.
    No, the argument doesn't make much sense at all. First, it's based on disputed premises, e.g., "what's good for the employer is good for the employee"; second, it grossly oversimplifies matters (as ideologues are wont to do). If you, Flop, can't even acknowledge the problem of gov't acting in the interest of business (at the expense of others), then you're not going to get too many people to agree with you. Third, you introduce a new argument about taxes and the Fed and the moral character of cos. that was not at issue here.

  6. #33

    Default Re: Huckabee, Obama Take Iowa Caucuses

    Yes, my post wasn't very nuanced. My only point (and my belief) is that things that are good for the employer are usually good for the employee. Less regulation, lower taxes - anything that leads to a lower cost of production - is generally good for the employees that work at the company.

    I feel the same way about personal taxes and regulations as well. Lower taxes, fewer laws that impinge upon personal freedoms, etc... - contribute to a happier, more productive society. Less government, if you will. Some might call it libertarian.

    If I'm arguing against a point that hasn't been raised, then I misunderstood the tone of some earlier posts.

  7. #34

    Default Re: Huckabee, Obama Take Iowa Caucuses

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    No, the argument doesn't make much sense at all. First, it's based on disputed premises, e.g., "what's good for the employer is good for the employee"; second, it grossly oversimplifies matters (as ideologues are wont to do). If you, Flop, can't even acknowledge the problem of gov't acting in the interest of business (at the expense of others), then you're not going to get too many people to agree with you. Third, you introduce a new argument about taxes and the Fed and the moral character of cos. that was not at issue here.
    Disputed premises?? Hasn't this board proven that anything, even the premise that the sky is blue, can be be disputed? Even so, your earlier was based on disputed premises (I was referring to the sort of conservatism that supports business at every turn) That statement insinuated that Bush was doing that and that doing so is inherently bad. That oversimplifies the matter (as ideologues are wont to do). If you won't even acknowledge that government can act in the interest of all and not just one or the other, you're not going to get too many people to agree with you.

    I'm not making a blanket statement that all that is good for business is necessarily good for eveyone else, but we can be assured that if we overly restrict business, many people will be without jobs. There is a happy medium and it can be reached. I just don't think that the government should overly restrict private ventures. There is no difference between a business and a person in the eyes of the law, so the government can do to you or me whatever it does to the business. That could be a slippery slope.

  8. #35
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Huckabee, Obama Take Iowa Caucuses

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    Yes, my post wasn't very nuanced. My only point (and my belief) is that things that are good for the employer are usually good for the employee. Less regulation, lower taxes - anything that leads to a lower cost of production - is generally good for the employees that work at the company.

    I feel the same way about personal taxes and regulations as well. Lower taxes, fewer laws that impinge upon personal freedoms, etc... - contribute to a happier, more productive society. Less government, if you will. Some might call it libertarian.

    If I'm arguing against a point that hasn't been raised, then I misunderstood the tone of some earlier posts.
    Your philosophical stance on the role of govt is fine, even if I don't fully agree. But when business interests and the interests of the public, or of employees conflict, as they inevitably do, I just ask that people acknowledge that a problem exists, e.g., the consequences of massive home foreclosures, or that workers get seriously hurt on the job, before taking sides with business.

  9. #36

    Default Re: Huckabee, Obama Take Iowa Caucuses

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Your philosophical stance on the role of govt is fine, even if I don't fully agree. But when business interests and the interests of the public, or of employees conflict, as they inevitably do, I just ask that people acknowledge that a problem exists, e.g., the consequences of massive home foreclosures, or that workers get seriously hurt on the job, before taking sides with business.
    Yes, there are limits. The hard part is determining what the limits should be.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •