Thread: Results Forum question.

Default Results Forum question.

Thank you for the results forum, just a couple of questions.

1. Are you adding these results by hand or are you rcv'ing them via some feed? I ask because there seems to be some results unlisted while results of some other less notable programs that are.

2. Is there any plan to adding any sorting logic to the result forum besides date descending? The capability to query by school would be a nice enhancement.

Default Re: Results Forum question.

Thanks for the feedback. Currently the information going into the feeds is mailed from the NWCA to a TWT email address. This then forwards to the forum and posts as the user Wrestling Results. The process occurs once every couple of days; mainly because the results aren't complete so there is no reason to overload the server updating it every few hours.

I would imagine its just the matter of time before all results are fed in this manner, and at that point it will make more sense to dive into making the information easier to use. (We do have a plan for sifting through all of the data that is accumulating here though)

(*You will see I tripped the results now, what we had the past 4-5 days)

Anyone that wants to post the results for their favorite teams simply needs to ask. I can give them posting credentials to the results section.
    Last edited by Schlottke; 12-17-2007 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks for the reply.

I would consider volunteering to add results but have a couple of questions:

1. If you open up authority up to a trustworthy member(s) how will you prevent your batch feed from adding duplicates?

2. I really like the standardized formatting of your results posts. If you do open it up, would you consider creating some type of data entry screen that walks the member through the entry process? This way you have some control of the formatting.

Lastly, I sure wish we could start a movement to encourage programs to report more dual statistics along with their team/weight results. I'd like to see values such as td, nf, escapes, reversals, ect reported uniformally and consistently. Do you know how this could be initiated? Is this an area you'd might be interested in developing on a national level? Perhaps you could develop a way for this data to be assembled you could then package it as a feed to media outlets and to other interested entities on a national basis much like an AP news feed. I suppose it might be a nightmare to organize it nationally. Perhaps I'm too much of a dreamer.

1. If you open up authority up to a trustworthy member(s) how will you prevent your batch feed from adding duplicates?

REPLY: It could be done, but there is a bit of a rhyme and reason to the results being submitted. (The same set of schools just about every week so those could be ignored by the poster) As the batch feed grows, the updates can be done more often, so the poster would be able to see which results are available. If there are a couple duplicates, they can simply either be ignored or deleted.

2. I really like the standardized formatting of your results posts. If you do open it up, would you consider creating some type of data entry screen that walks the member through the entry process? This way you have some control of the formatting.

REPLY: Ideally we would make the basic template used by the NWCA in creation of the results available to the person(s) in charge of results.

Lastly, I sure wish we could start a movement to encourage programs to report more dual statistics along with their team/weight results. I'd like to see values such as td, nf, escapes, reversals, ect reported uniformally and consistently. Do you know how this could be initiated? Is this an area you'd might be interested in developing on a national level? Perhaps you could develop a way for this data to be assembled you could then package it as a feed to media outlets and to other interested entities on a national basis much like an AP news feed. I suppose it might be a nightmare to organize it nationally. Perhaps I'm too much of a dreamer.[/quote]

REPLY: According to Jason Bryant, the NWCA is in the process of making the results feed more robust. This is the first year they have offered the results in any form, so there will certainly be changes made to the way the information is delivered. I've passed along some of my interests to Jason, but the more information they can see about what people want will really help guide the tool. I'd like to think by next year the feed is fine-tuned enough to feed results directly into a fantasy wrestling application. There is another wrestling project I'm working on where this feed may also be very important, so I'm open to helping in any way I can.

Thank you for addressing all my questions. You do an excellent job here, particularly with communication. I know I'm not the only one that appreciates what goes on, but I am guilty for not showing it. My thanks to all involved.