Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 149 NWCA All Star Meet

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Exactly. Here is what I would have liked to seen out of 11 bouts.

125: Nickerson vs Haze (Nickerson bowed out because of injury....so I'll take the gardner haze that was realized).

133: Valenti vs Scott (It happened, it was great.....it was also the national final)

141: Lang vs Rivera (This is what i wanted and still want to see. Derek Moore wasn't on anyone's "realistic" stud all star radar.

149: Schlatter vs Gillespie (Wanted it since Gillespie lost to Jaggers a year ago at the Scuffle).

157: Paulson vs Levassuer (true)

165: Hendricks vs Askren (One way or another. I'd like to see this encouraged by the governing body. Askren was cert'd at 165).

165: Perry vs Tannenbaum (lets just take out the 174 pound bout....did anyone actually want to see Yonushonis vs herrington?)

184: Herbert vs Kish (Man Herbert pwn3d)

197: Any match here would have been better.

HWT: Konrad vs Dlagnev

Local Bout: who cares
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.

Redshirt

The all star meet was a post-season affair in the 70's....and nobody attended. I was at the one held in Rec Hall in, I think, 1970 or 1971. Boyd from Temple got beat... i don't remember much more... I was 11. They tried to continue the post-season thing and less and less wrestlers came, as well as fans. They stopped it for a few years and had sponsorship and eligibility (NCAA) issues. When it was first brought back, and mid-season, it did fairly well.....until people (coaches, wrestlers) figured out that it could hurt their ranking for NCAA's (even though an exhibition)and they didn't want to meet the top ranked kids before March.

141: Rivera? Seriously? At what point in the pre-season did Rivera strike anyone as the #1, #2 guy? Yeah, there was potential, but coming into this season, how many non-Gopher fans would have predicted a 27-0 start?

165: LeVesseur wasn't eligible/in school/whatever the first semester, thus he couldn't compete. He was at 165, not 157.

165A: Invites went out before Askren's certification, we've discussed this one ad naseum.

174: I agree

285: Barring a Bode injury, he's the NCAA runner-up. In November, did we expect Tervel to have the season he did? Most of us would think so (at least, more so than Rivera), but anyone after Bode and Tervel would have been a wash. However, that exhibition likely had the next best heavy, Blake Gillis from Wartburg.

People whine about the small schools not getting any flavor, but when they do, no one seems to care...

Hindsight is 20/20, we all have our hunches, some wrong, some right, but Lang-Morgan, two returning All-Americans and you think Lang-Rivera (with Rivera not placing the previous year and before his hot start?) would have been one to see back in November?

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

bode = boring

My whole point with this is not to bash the event. It's my second favorite event next to NCAA's actually.

I just like the idea of the NWCA taking the opportunity to not cater to coaches or wrestlers, but to the fans. Put people on the mat that people want to see. I'm sure you'll catch a lot of flack when you decline a #1 or #2, but I say "oh well". In the end, it is a weigh in, but not a match that counts on anyone's record.

I also feel it would be a good way to showcase/reward those wrestlers that make wrestling exciting.

Professional leagues vote on all star participants......

... and pros bail out of the all-star games too, for far lesser reasons than wrestlers backing out of the all-star.

Contractual obligations, ingrown hair, pending litigation .... all the normal pro athlete stuff.

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Quote Originally Posted by Dart Shark View Post

Contractual obligations, ingrown hair, pending litigation .... all the normal pro athlete stuff.
    Exalt-amundo! (i only put amundo because it won't let you post something less than 10 letters)

MY.... next year All Star line-up.
    125-Donahoe v TNick
    133-Scott v Reiter
    141-Morgan v Lang
    149-GG v Metcalf
    157-Poeta v Henning
    165-Perry v Mason
    174-Luke v Gavin- Nobody else to choose from....
    184-Herbert v Varner
    197-Askren v Davis
    HWT- Dlagnev v Fox

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Sorry fan....metcalf is gonna own GG

Isn't Gillespie going up to 157 next year?