Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Team Race - Minny/PSU

  1. #1

    Default Team Race - Minny/PSU

    If I added it up right breaking down the team race between Minny and PSU, if all the supposed "favorites" win their respective matches (unlikely I know), I believe it would break down as follows:

    PSU starts with a +.5 lead.
    125 - +3.5 PSU lead: Nico goes 2-0 vs Clark and Peters
    133 - +3.5 PSU: Thorn goes 0-2, losing to Schoop and Beckman
    141 - +4.5 PSU: Retherford goes 1-1, losing to Port, beating Henderson
    149 - +4.5 PSU: English loses to Maple
    157 - +4.5 PSU: Ness loses to Dieringer
    165 - +8.5 PSU: Taylor beats Caldwell, Zilverberg loses to Harger
    174 - *Wildcard Match* (I don't consider either a favorite) If by seed, Brown beats Storley then loses to Kokesh, and Storley loses to Brown and to Evans. +10.5 PSU
    However... If it goes the other way it's a 4 point swing. +6.5 PSU
    Worst case scenario for PSU; Storley goes 2-0, beating Brown then Kokesh and Brown loses to Evans... again. +5.5 PSU
    184 - +12.5 PSU: Ruth wins and Steinhaus goes 1-1, losing to Dean.
    197 - +10.5 PSU: Schiller wins out, McIntosh beats Burak
    Hwt - +6.5 PSU: Nelson wins.

    (Worst case scenario at 174: Storley goes 2-0 and Brown goes 0-2, its +1.5 for PSU)

    Obviously wrestling to seed hasn't been a major theme at this year's tournament but if PSU can do what they're capable of they should pull this out. Same scenario against Okie St but at an even larger margin, (+6.5 PSU if 174 Storley wins out and Brown goes 0-2). Amazing efforts from Minny, Okie St and PSU, should be exciting tomorrow!

  2. #2
    NCAA Champ BlueBloodLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The same planet as you
    Posts
    1,032

    Default Re: Team Race - Minny/PSU

    Quote From Tony Nelson about his upcoming finals match with Gwiazdowski

    "He's another one of those athletic and agile heavyweights," said Nelson. "He's going to look to score points. I've got to be ready for his leg attacks. If I'm able to counter those, or even get re-shots off those, that's going to be crucial to winning that match."

    Which should be translated:

    "I'm going to be defensive the entire match. If the match goes according to plan, I will not initiate an offensive move for the entire 7 minutes. I will work to stifle any offensive action; my goal is to make sure that my opponent loses because he actually tries to wrestle and score."

    Thanks Tony, I can hardly wait. You are in charge of making sure everyone leaves after the 197 match. Way to grow the sport, big man.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Team Race - Minny/PSU

    Good medal round for Penn State, but a great round for Minny. I'd still put even money on Penn State to win it all. They win 2 of 2 tonight and Minny wins 1 of 2. PSU wins by a 0.5 margin.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Team Race - Minny/PSU

    Quote Originally Posted by chocell View Post
    Good medal round for Penn State, but a great round for Minny. I'd still put even money on Penn State to win it all. They win 2 of 2 tonight and Minny wins 1 of 2. PSU wins by a 0.5 margin.
    I mean PSU wins by a 1.5 point margin.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Team Race - Minny/PSU

    Quote Originally Posted by chocell View Post
    Good medal round for Penn State, but a great round for Minny. I'd still put even money on Penn State to win it all. They win 2 of 2 tonight and Minny wins 1 of 2. PSU wins by a 0.5 margin.
    Really would've liked to have been in the driver's seat with Taylor and Ruth but couldn't have asked for a better round from PSU. I mean English beating Maple? Incredible! Retherford loses a heartbreaker but then gets an automatic two bonus? Fortuitous for sure. But Minny kept answering, they've really shown heart. Going to be fun tonight!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Team Race - Minny/PSU

    Ness is the wild card. It would not surprise me at all if he pins Dieringer. Both Taylor and Ruth are going to be hard pressed to put up bonus points, so they're in that difficult situation where they have to hope either Ness or Nelson will lose. I think Penn State's chances of winning both finals are over 75% and Minny's chances of winning both are under 25%.

    Does anyone know the starting weight tonight?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Team Race - Minny/PSU

    i heard 74

  8. #8

    Default Re: Team Race - Minny/PSU

    Quote Originally Posted by yakrider View Post
    i heard 74
    Ending with Taylor/Caldwell... I like it, hope you're right.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Team Race - Minny/PSU

    Am at the NCAA's this year, and it's been really exciting. Very closely contested. The loudest the PSU fans cheered was when English won his bout over Maple for 7th!! Everyone just exploded--what a story for a 6th year senior who never started a whole season and looked out of the picture just over a month ago. And, he was winning during both of his losses at NCAA's this year--with Tsirtsis late and with Habat. What a great story, and a great kid. You can be sure that Cael will tell his story to other less-heralded recruits!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •