Thread: 2nd Best Conference

Default 2nd Best Conference

We know Big 10 is king and it's king by a lot.

What's number 2? Big 12? MAC? EIWA? ACC?
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Default Re: 2nd Best Conference

In terms of top caliber wrestlers I still have to go with the Big 12. But for depth (# of ranked wrestlers) I would go with the MAC. Goodness #1 Houdashelt and #2 Cox are only ranked 2nd in their conference!! [I know why, but still . . .!]

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    In terms of top caliber wrestlers I still have to go with the Big 12. But for depth (# of ranked wrestlers) I would go with the MAC. Goodness #1 Houdashelt and #2 Cox are only ranked 2nd in their conference!! [I know why, but still . . .!]
    I think you're spot on Tom. MAC is going to be a blast this year.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

I’d love to say the Big 12 is #2 , but we sure miss Missouri and Nebraska. The 4 team conference tournament is just sad. Until the Big 12 adds two more teams, I can’t rank them #2.

I put together a crappy formula to determine the conference rankings (Top 4 team rankings combined minus number of teams in the conference). Closer to zero the better.

1. Big 10: #1 PSU, #2 Iowa, #3 Minn, #8 Michigan - 12 = 2 (far and above the best)
    2. MAC: #9 Mizz, #11 UNI, #23 CMU, #26 KSU - 8 = 61
    3. Big 12: #4 OSU, #6 OU, #15 ISU, #44 WVU - 4 = 65
    4. ACC: #15 MD, #17 UVA, #19 Pitt, #24 NCSU - 7 = 68
    5. EIWA: #5 Cornell, #25 Lehigh, #36 F&M, #38 Hofstra - 18 = 86
    6. WWC: #21 NDSU, #29 AFA, #35 Wyoming, #44 UV - 5 = 124
    7. Pac 12: #27 BSU, #33 OSU, #37 Stanford, #44 CSUB - 6 = 135
    8. EWL: #7 Edinboro, #27 Bloom, #52 Rider, #58 Clarion - 7 = 137
    9. SoCon: #31 Citadel, #32 Chatt, #44 App State, #59 Campbell - 8 = 158

The MAC and Big 12 are neck and neck, but the Big 12 falls behind due to a lack of teams. They are followed by a very well balanced ACC (gonna be a great tournament!) and a very top-heavy EIWA. Somewhat surprised to see the WWC overtake the Pac 12. No surprise with SoCon being last.
    Last edited by JKreisel; 02-26-2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: updated rankings

Might just be my old school thinking on this but I would think that the EWL is tougher than the EIWA and the ACC. At least back in the day for sure.

The EWL is no longer what it used to be. PSU, of course, is no longer in it. Pitt and WVU have left. Bloomsburg, LHSU and Clarion programs are nowhere near what they used to be--Bloomsburg a little better off than the others. Outside of Edinboro, it's gotten pretty weak--sad to say!