Thread: New adult male weight categories - doomed

Default New adult male weight categories - doomed

i am a 6ft tall adult male weighing about 79kg therefore i will be in the 86 kg weight category where guys are probably a bit more heavier and bulkier than me. What are my chances of any success for me . Does anyone know any famous freestyle wrestlers similar in height and weight to me who win regularly in this category

Default Re: New adult male weight categories - doomed

adam saitiev did pretty well up a weight.

If you eat and lift weights you can get stronger and mroe athletic than people who are currently bigger than you. Sometimes the simple answers are the best.

I hate to tell you this, but at a sr. level wrestler at 79 kg, you're a 74 kg wrestler, and not a particularly big one at that. I know weight cutting is miserable and somewhat controversial, but that's reality. Either accept that you will be the smaller guy and focus on techniques that work for you, cut the weight, or you have a lot of muscle mass to put on as icestorm suggests.

From past results from wrestlers of varying builds, your height/weight really have no bearing on your performance. You can be 5'3" and 74 kg and be a world champ (Paslar). You can be tall and skinny and win 3 olympic golds (Saitiev). All that really matters is whether or not you can use your build to win.

Even being undersized in a weight class is starting to have less and less importance as we saw from Gatsalov at 2013 World Championships. People who claim to be too small, short, skinny etc for a weight class are often just making excuses for poor technique and positioning.

One thing every wrestler does have in common is that they are muscular and have incredible conditioning.