Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The South Korean shooter was very troubled BUT

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Some of these Asian kids are expected to be good, little robots and benefit American economy, and nothing more.
    Expected by whom? I don't think colleges look at Asians and say "There's a good, little robot we can take tuition from so he can benefit the American economy."

Since you wanted to bring his family into it, where were they? I'm not one to ultimately hold parents responsible for all their children's actions, but if anyone was supposed to interact with this kid, it was them.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Olympic Champ

Look, its just all the clues I got from listening to VT students that "knew him" talk about him.

Things like: "We were always making jokes about him, we knew him as a question mark kid, he was weird, he was strange", and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Yeah but nobody contacted his family, arranged a family meeting, tried to get him to talk. Some of these Asian kids are expected to be good, little robots and benefit American economy, and nothing more.
    I don't think many, or any Korean American's share the belief that they are suppose to be "good little robots and a benefit to the American economy". Knowing their culture fairly well (for an American..), I would be sure to think that they are very happy to be able to work, and live here; even if they're generally happier with the South Korean Government/General Public.

Olympic Champ

I would be sure to think that they are very happy to be able to work, and live here; even if their generally happier in the South Korean Government/Public.

Obviously, you are wrong about at least one of them.

I'd have to disagree. I don't think he killed anyone because of that set of beliefs. I think he was very troubled, just like any other college kid could be, but then there wouldn't be a much more outlandish explanation made as to why it happened.

Olympic Champ

Dear Schlottke,

I don't know if you listened much about his actions in class and in the dorms. They said he put a question mark instead of his name in class and when everyone was describing themselves, he remained silent when it was his turn. He never talked in English classes and sat in the back.

In the dorms he never gave more than a one word answer when people asked him a question. He didn't respond when people greeted him. None of this rang enough bells to take serious actions though. Hmmmm.....................................

This thread is inane.

The news coverage, in general, has been trying to say the least. I have been able to only take several minutes of the so-called new-channels today. I wanted to strangle some of the interviewers. These news organizations are in the business of trying to create stories (or even create the news itself) for lack of anything better to do.

I have one compliment, and that is to Brian Williams who kept smacking a way-out-of-line Chris Matthews down (in a gentle and tactful fashion). His stock just soared in my book.

Big, I haven't had much time to follow what's happening, but from your descriptions it does sound like there was something truly disturbed with him, and I wish he didn't have to feel like that. BUT I don't think it's VT's fault that he was in that situation. He was an adult, if you feel like crap then go get help. I don't want to make this tragedy about him. I don't want to see this murderer's mug plastered on evey newscast and webpage and the people he killed a remain a number.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Olympic Champ

What I am saying ISU is that "Every man for himself" philosophy just doesn't work when a person has deep problems.