Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ohio St Penn St Predictions

Default Re: Ohio St Penn St Predictions

Wow. Awesome moment in Rec Hall.Retherford definitely outwrestled Stieber.

Ohio State looks absolutely atrocious

from my fight on state PBP post
    ----------------------------------

141 #8 Zain vs #1 Steiber

This is my VISION QUEST moment folks....
    who knows what I mean? HA.

1st
    LS TD 2-0
    ZR esc 2-1
    108 remaining
    ZR took a shot & ZR got a stall warning
    wtf horrible call per Byers

2nd
    ZR on top
    ZR has LS on his BELLY
    crowd going wild
    LS cannot get out
    trying to crank him over
    stall vs LS
    crowd loving it at Rec Hall
    48 sec RT ZR
    Zain rides him 2 min
    RT 107 ZR

Per Byers Ryan has been all over the refs
    trying to review this for a hand lock on ZR
    even though 3rd period started

LUNG TIME OUT FOR LS
    What Bs eh on Ryans part Greg?

3rd
    ZR takes neutral
    Per Byers there is NO CALL
    and now LS has his breath back

ZR on shot Left leg
    ZR trying to step in behind
    125 remaining
    LS trying to fight it off on wrist
    off the mat
    57 sec left
    2-1 LS
    ZR has RT

ZR on wrist
    head snap trades
    going to OT
    LS tired

SV
    Crowd on their feet
    ZR shoots
    left leg
    30 sec left
    ZR TD
    ZAIN WINS

There were some strange stall calls/non-calls. Dijulius hangs on wrists and elbows for an entire match and the ref basically lets it go. Then a fast stall call on Logan, and a ridiculous stall on Retherford:
    Retherford shot, got the leg, and eventually couldn't finish, so the ref restarts them. About 7 seconds after the restart, the ref hits Retherford for stalling. I'll admit that Logan was moving more, but neither had taken a full shot, and it was seriously about 7 seconds...

Logan Stieber got out-hustled. There is no excuse for that. I think because he got the early takedown and had a good ride until the potentially dangerous call, that he figured it was just another easy match. He let that kid go with 1:34 left in the 1st probably thinking he could get another easy takedown. He couldn't have been more wrong.

Having watched him since his freshman year in HS, I have no doubt that he will be motivated to work harder and get better. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried. Retheford may get better too. What really bothered me was how he got ridden. He had his head down and didn't even threaten to get out. As far as I know, he was healthy so there is no excuse. He just got beat.

After that, the entire team looked horrible. At least Tom Ryan didn't sugarcoat anything. If he was in denial then tOSU would be in real trouble.

Quinn--I agree with you that Logan will learn from this. I'll be shocked if he takes down again--Retherford is really tough on top. (he did the same thing to Pitt's Bright last week) But I think Stieber is still better on his feet if he doesn't get worn out on bottom. After the ride-out in the 2nd period, Stieber didn't have enough left to do his usual offense. The question might be whether Retherford would take top position when it's his choice! As delighted as I am in Retherford's win, you still have to favor Stieber at NCAA's.

Well, none of us quite predicted the shellacking PSU put on tOSU tonight. The big difference obviously was the upset victory of Retherford over Stieber. PSU looked very good, but they'll need to maintain that level or take it up a notch against Iowa. tOSU didn't look good even in their 2 wins, but I believe Ryan will have them ready when it really counts.

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    Quinn--I agree with you that Logan will learn from this. I'll be shocked if he takes down again--Retherford is really tough on top. (he did the same thing to Pitt's Bright last week) But I think Stieber is still better on his feet if he doesn't get worn out on bottom. After the ride-out in the 2nd period, Stieber didn't have enough left to do his usual offense. The question might be whether Retherford would take top position when it's his choice! As delighted as I am in Retherford's win, you still have to favor Stieber at NCAA's.
    The ride out definitely took its toll. I also like Logan's chances on top. He was dominating until the potentially dangerous call. He let Retheford up. I don't think he will make that mistake again. Wouldn't it be weird if they both took top if given the choice? Not sure if I remember that happening before.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    The ride out definitely took its toll. I also like Logan's chances on top. He was dominating until the potentially dangerous call. He let Retheford up. I don't think he will make that mistake again. Wouldn't it be weird if they both took top if given the choice? Not sure if I remember that happening before.
    I'm not sure if it's happened before, but it could this time in the re-match. I think that Stieber takes neutral and perhaps Retherford top in the re-match. A lot depends on the score at the time.