Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get Well Snackem

Default Re: Get Well Snackem

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    No MRSA thankfully but lots of tunneling and swelling. I can tell you that I think everyone should have their wound packed at least once in their lives, and there are some people (like the administration at U of O) whom I wish could experience it on a daily basis.
    Glad you're on the mend. You're a cool guy Snack!
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Hope youre feeling better snakem. What does it mean to have your wound "packed"?
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

When the puss and fluid is drained there is a large open cavity where the infection was, to keep it open and all it to drain the stuff the cavity with sterile gauze. The doctor had scsisors, 6 inch cotton swabs and all four of his fingers inside of my leg stuffing gauze into the cavity. I could see the cotton swab completely disappear into my leg shoving the gauze to the edge of my abscess. The first several days he stuffed well over 6 feet of gauze into my leg. Later they grab hold of the end of said gauze and pull it out, followed by shoving syringes full of saline into the wound as far as it will reach to irrigate the infection, then they shove more clean gauze back in. On good days it only happened once a day. Once it happened three times.

Here's a video of a guy that had a MUCH smaller wound/abscess. Be warned it is GRAPHIC, and if you have a weak stomach or don't like blood don't click the link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5X7rM6Y1C0
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Snack-
    After my first shoulder surgery-a LONG time ago-I had an abscess and the SMELL got to me more than the pain or the pus and gunk !! Smelled like dead tuna !
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

So sorry I asked. Hope everything goes well for you.

Uffda!

Herk did you watch the video?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Herk did you watch the video?
    That's a big no. I don't need to puke all over my computer.

When the puss and fluid is drained there is a large open cavity where the infection was, to keep it open and all it to drain the stuff the cavity with sterile gauze. The doctor had scsisors, 6 inch cotton swabs and all four of his fingers inside of my leg stuffing gauze into the cavity. I could see the cotton swab completely disappear into my leg shoving the gauze to the edge of my abscess. The first several days he stuffed well over 6 feet of gauze into my leg. Later they grab hold of the end of said gauze and pull it out, followed by shoving syringes full of saline into the wound as far as it will reach to irrigate the infection, then they shove more clean gauze back in. On good days it only happened once a day. Once it happened three times.

Here's a video of a guy that had a MUCH smaller wound/abscess. Be warned it is GRAPHIC, and if you have a weak stomach or don't like blood don't click the link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5X7rM6Y1C0
    Yum, nothing like getting that necrotic tissue out of the wound.