Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Binghamton Open

Default Re: Binghamton Open

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    Are they getting new gas tanks?
    I know the new gas tanks (for Altons) was somewhat in gest (with some truth as well). I'm sure many know that both had shoulder surgery for torn labrums. They should be back in Dec or Jan. I think the gas tank was more of an issue for Andrew than Dylan. I'm optimistic that they'll have good seasons when they get back in the line-up.

For some reason my gut tells me that Dylan is going to come back and be a high AA, while Andrew is going to come back and be the same guy. He'll pin every non top 20 guy he faces and will be the best wrestler at his weight for the first period of every match. He will then proceed to completely gas out and get taken down four times in the final period. I can't imagine that missing significant mat time with an injury is going to do much for his gas tank issues.

1st Place--You could be right about the Altons. I don't think Dylan has any fundamental problems and should do well if healthy. Andrew has certainly had some issues other than his injury. It would certainly look like gas tank issues are at the base. But from some different things I've read/heard, even though vague, make me think that the root issue is something else. I'm not totally sure what it is, but I have optimism that if whatever else is worked out that the gas tank won't be a problem. My biggest fundamental concern for Andrew is his major weakness on top, and at times on bottom. Of course, time will tell!

Tom,
    I'm hearing the same things - well trained and fully able to go in practice, but something happens in competition. It's not like the kid is blowing off practice or conditioning. Obviously this summer was different with shoulder surgery, but that's beside the point.

An athletes brain can do crazy things. When I competed I lost to people I should have torn apart simply because I was a mental midget. I'm not calling Andrew a mental midget or anything like that but it is puzzling. He had no problem going out under the big lights in high school and winning championships. I don't envy the amount of pressure some of these guys are under.

In a bizarre twist of irony (or maybe not so irony), the product currently being advertised at the top of this thread:

Diesel Fuel Tanks
    www.clevelandtanks.com
    Regular and cylindrical tanks....

Now that's just mean...

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    An athletes brain can do crazy things. When I competed I lost to people I should have torn apart simply because I was a mental midget. I'm not calling Andrew a mental midget or anything like that but it is puzzling. He had no problem going out under the big lights in high school and winning championships. I don't envy the amount of pressure some of these guys are under.
    1st Place--I think you're right that it's significantly mental. I think he tends to get so excited that he burns up a lot of energy before the match even starts. The less success he has, the more it puts pressure on him. But when he's on he's very tough. I'm not just referring to his throws. He has great leg shots and ducks. His weakness is mat wrestling. But, for him to get success he has to overcome whatever the mental issues are. If he does--watch out!

I can remember people attacking Quentin Wright's mental toughness a couple of years ago. QW came out of that pretty well!