I got tired of seeing the 2013 Iran Team Trial thread so I figured I'd start a new one here for the hell of it. Maybe this has been said before but here it is:

After watching a few of his international matches I think that Metcalf's biggest shortcoming, the one thing keeping him from becoming elite at the international level, is that he lacks elite explosion - both offensively and in defensive positions/scrambles. Now, I am not saying that he isn't strong and we all have heard otherwise numerous times from his college opponents. We also all know that he is a grinder that usually is going to win matches if it comes down to the third period. But his initial world championship match this past year and a few of his other matches shows me that he may be susceptible to getting out-horsed early in matches to the point where he can't come back in the third.

It may just be that his reactions in general aren't at the elite level but It looks like he needs a little extra burst that he currently doesn't have. His shots look comparatively slow to his competition and I have seen him get nailed with power takedowns a few too many times. I think that a beefed up, more powerful/explosive Metcalf who needs to make a little bit more of a cut to get to his weight outperforms the current Metcalf we have, who is in superior condition cardio-wise but (at least to me) seems a little outgunned by the bigger guys on the international scene.