Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Save TWT

Default Re: Rip twt

I'm guessing his post was more directed to the topic creator, oldfart

Quote Originally Posted by PhilippinesOrphanage View Post
    I'm guessing his post was more directed to the topic creator, oldfart
    Well, I did ask for alternate site recommendations which tc did specifically criticize so I was addressing that.

And again, thanks for your work. I don't post a lot but I do visit this site during the college season on a daily basis so I hope things work out.

Thanks to those of you who got the site back up! I sincerely appreciate it! I love the site and have recommended it in the past.

Thanks for the expressions of appreciation guys.

I just want to clarify that while the tone of my post was intentionally stern, it was not ill-willed, nor was it meant to be accusatory toward anyone in specific.

I only wanted it known that this type of discussion is not productive for thewrestlingtalk.com, and it has no place on this forum.

If you want to use the forum to constructively discuss what can be done to improve the site, and what can be contributed toward getting that done, then by all means, please do.

We want people to use the site, that's what it's here for.
    That said, we do what we can to improve the site when needs/opportunities arise, but it doesn't always work out as planned.

I'll be the first to admit that my vBulletin knowledge/experience is minimal, and this particular installation has been heavily modified to the point of making it difficult to do any maintenance whatsoever on it.

I don't have all the answers but I can say that Kristen is committed to keeping the site going as it is a part of Jacob's legacy to the world.
    Pat and I do what we can to help her achieve that.

If you guys still want to find somewhere else to discuss wrestling or keep up on one another's social affairs that is your business.
    Please don't make posts on this forum for the purpose of working out those logistics.
    Please don't make posts on this forum that denigrate thewrestlingtalk.com.

Thank you.
    ~ truthfulness ~ compassion ~ forbearance ~

Nobody denigrated the site. It is a simple fact. Discussion is no longer possible on a site that seems to be unable to stay up for more than 24 hours. Many people have said "is there something we can do" The fact is there's not much we can do. It has been asked if this is an issue of money, as many(myself included) would contribute to the cause.

I don't blame anyone for the sites issues. It's just a fact that you cannot have quality conversation on a site that is never up. I'm lamenting that many of the people who used to post here are now gone as it has become impossible to stay connected and maintain conversation. I am glad you're not letting the site go, yet wonder why since it is down so often.

I can't believe you don't see this perspective and are choosing to be upset. The site has problems that the people in charge are unable to prevent, and that is a sad thing. I understand you are spending personal time on this, this is part of why the site seems ultimately doomed. I commend you for your efforts and you shouldn't take this personally. Even JensenS, THE guy when I associate with TWT is nowhere to be found. Is that not insanely telling? I will always check into TWT as long as it's running, but will not expect many of my peers to return as it has become so difficult to maintain discussion and dialogue.

There's no blame, nor cutting and running for green pastures. Just a somber note about a site I had great times on.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

This was by far my favorite place to talk wrestling. Really respect and enjoy the guys on here, and hope that sometime soon the site remains up for the long haul and we can gradually build a following again. I will continue to occasionally check in and post hoping that his site can make it back to where it was.

TC and PO thanks for all you do. I have been around since the beginning. I have spent countless hours promoting this site via radio and other places. Is it the vbulletin software or why is the site going down so often? Do we need to think about going to a more secure software; or maybe we should require a more complicated password structure for all users? Thanks for all you do.

While I agree with the sentiment of your 2nd post VA. You could have titled your thread a bit more constructively. I hope we are able to build the site back to it former glory. However it may take some time due to the amount of downtime recently.

If it is a matter of money lets put our heads together and work out a solution.
    Last edited by Wiltz; 11-02-2013 at 09:26 AM.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    TC and PO thanks for all you do. I have been around since the beginning. I have spent countless hours promoting this site via radio and other places. Is it the vbulletin software or why is the site going down so often? Do we need to think about going to a more secure software; or maybe we should require a more complicated password structure for all users? Thanks for all you do.

While I agree with the sentiment of your 2nd post VA. You could have titled your thread a bit more constructively. I hope we are able to build the site back to it former glory. However it may take some time due to the amount of downtime recently.

If it is a matter of money lets put our heads together and work out a solution.
    Yeah, maybe that wasn't the greatest title. Honestly, when I wrote it, I was like, "Well, who is even going to see this?" Soon after I posted it, the site was down again.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

I'll try to be as transparent as possible here:

1) It *IS* in large part a monetary issue.
    - Hosting this site and Hswrestling.net in particular requires some serious computing power, more than any cheap hosting plan is capable of.
    - When I took over managing Kristen's inherited internet real estate, I moved everything to a new host in response to issues we had at the previous host, and as a way to reduce hosting fees while boosting performance. Since that time our current host has become unreliable and we're looking at what we can do about it. The recent downtime was due to an attempt at moving the site to a different host that didn't work out (this different host was entirely responsible for the week of down time). Right now the site is back where it has been, and still has several security holes and malware code running along with it because we wanted to get it at least back up and running in some usable state, keeping the disruption minimized.

2) It *IS* in large part a vBulletin issue.
    - The site is running on vBulletin 4.x; the current vBulletin version is 5.x and requires an entirely different license (costs money).
    - Even if we spent the money to get a new license, it doesn't seem likely that we'd be able to cleanly convert the current content over to the new version, since the site has been so modified from a basic vBulletin installation.
    - The site utilizes old modifications that no longer get updates, but can't be removed (as doing so would break things in major ways), causing serious security issues.
    - There are a couple options I see in dealing with this:
    --- Hire a vBulletin expert, capable and willing to clean up the issues stated above, buy a 5.x license and get everything up to date.
    --- Close off the vBulletin forum, making it read-only, install a fresh forum software that doesn't require a license fee and is open source, likely to stay updated, etc (bbpress, simplemachines, etc). This would probably force every member to create a new account and start from scratch, but is probably what I would personally choose.

3) It *IS* in large part a problem with every administrator account.
    - I don't know what your passwords are, but according to the host we attempted to move over to, the hacking is happening in part because one or more administrators' accounts have been compromised (hackers have somehow obtained or successfully guessed at your login information).
    - As far as I can tell, in the time I have been involved with this site, no administrator has ever bothered to approve new user signups. Eventually it happened that the registration form was getting constantly hammered by bots and we had to remove access. Since that time Pat has personally created new user accounts for those individuals that email him asking for one.
    - The administrators are supposed to set an example for other users and maintain the site as best they can--*that means all of you.* Based on what's been said about JensenS I can see that people think he's been in charge of, or somehow handling everything...I guarantee you, that is nowhere near reality.

We are acutely aware that if we don't push for a comeback this season, things will be far worse next year.

===========================

Now I'll address VA directly in attempt to clear up a few points (questions below are rhetorical, I'm not soliciting answers):

I understand your perspective on this probably better than you think, and believe me when I tell you that however frustrating these issues are for you, they are far worse for us. Every site has problems that the people in charge are unable to prevent, it's just the reality of the internet. In addition to software and hosting issues, monetary issues are a major aspect of why we only have personal time to work on the sites lately. We understand that things are slipping and people are leaving due to these issues; what are those supposedly responsible for maintaining the community doing about it?

Eventually we'll sort out the hardware, software, and monetary issues I'm sure, but it will still be up to the pillars of this community to keep it together and continue making it a great place to talk wrestling. As one of the site administrators you have a responsibility to contribute to this. Put simply, your posts in this thread stand in opposition to this responsibility, as they present a tone of hopelessness with an air of authority; I haven't taken anything personally or become upset over this, I've said what I've said because I feel that this is wrong, and unacceptable. As an administrator, people take your words seriously and you need to contribute positively to Thewrestlingtalk.com. What do you think would happen if this were a company, and you were an employee?

I don't blame you for feeling that the situation is hopeless and I'm not angry with you either; in fact, I often feel the same way. However, as role models and individuals capable of affecting positive change for the site, we cannot allow these feelings to negatively impact the community in this way.

===========================

Moving forward, let's discuss what can and should be done to save this site.
    It's up to everyone that cares about Thewrestlingtalk.com to make these efforts.
    ~ truthfulness ~ compassion ~ forbearance ~