Thread: What NCAA hwt champs 1928-60 weighed: Photos & facts

Default What NCAA hwt champs 1928-60 weighed: Photos & facts

How much does a college heavyweight wrestler actually weigh?

Nowadays, competitors must tip the scales somewhere between 197 and 285 pounds. (The official name of the weight class is 285.)

In the first three decades of NCAA wrestling championships, the top weight class was called unlimited… because there was no upper weight limit. At least one big man who won a title between 1928 and 1960 weighed approximately 300 pounds!

That said, most college heavyweight champs of that era weighed in at less than 245 pounds, with a good number coming in between 210 and 220.

In a separate photo-album, College Wrestling Examiner posted the actual weights of the NCAA Division I heavyweight champs since 2000. Now, let’s go old-school… and take a look at the best big men of college wrestling to see what they weighed back in the day.

To see the photos of the champs, how much they weighed, and other fun facts... What NCAA heavyweight champs actually weighed from 1928-1960 - National College wrestling | Examiner.comClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1949 NCAA hwt finals Hutton vs Gagne Redskin Gopher yrbooks.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	3121

In the photo: Oklahoma State's Dick Hutton (3x NCAA champ, 1947-48, 1950) had a 30-pound advantage over college rival Verne Gagne of Minnesota (1949 NCAA champ)

Default Re: What NCAA hwt champs 1928-60 weighed: Photos & facts

Thanks, I enjoyed the article a lot.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

That was a good article. Before I read it I thought the scale either said fat, fatter or too fat. I'm pretty sure the word "boring" is just a given.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    That was a good article. Before I read it I thought the scale either said fat, fatter or too fat. I'm pretty sure the word "boring" is just a given.
    Do you not remember Tommy Rowlands!? #judgement
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

You probably won't be suprised when I tell you that I have no idea what the hashtag thing is. I know it's a twitter thing but I have no clue what the significance is.

Now, as far as heavyweight wrestling goes, it's 95% fat guys leaning on each other. It does give me time to use the restroom or go to the concession stand though. So they got that going for them.