Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Losses of Dan Gable Article

Default Re: The Losses of Dan Gable Article

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Forget its Dan Gable for a moment. Just imagine a little girl told you that her dad flipped over the table and punched through her bedroom door because ha had a bad day at work. How would you feel about this? That doesnt mean Gable shouldnt have wrestled or was a horrible parent... but even great men have flaws and dealing with emotions healthily appears to be one of Gables, likely from the trauma and guilt he suffered as a youth. I would be interested to see what other great wrestlers- the Igalis and Burroughs and Karelins of the world- would think of this article. To what extent is Fables single mindedness a neessary trait to become the best?

I agree that it is extreme, but show me a person that said they have a perfect father or a perfect childhood and I'll show you a liar. Everyone has flaws and Gables have now been exposed. I think I admire him even more than I did before the article. I seriously doubt that he would have ever caused physical harm to his daughters. He just punched holes through doors instead. It's probably a great temporary stress reliever.

PS, I'll never say a word sideways about Gable. I have way too much respect for what he's done to put much emphasis on his minor drawbacks. His internal struggle makes him even more interesting to me.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I agree that it is extreme, but show me a person that said they have a perfect father or a perfect childhood and I'll show you a liar. Everyone has flaws and Gables have now been exposed. I think I admire him even more than I did before the article. I seriously doubt that he would have ever caused physical harm to his daughters. He just punched holes through doors instead. It's probably a great temporary stress reliever.

PS, I'll never say a word sideways about Gable. I have way too much respect for what he's done to put much emphasis on his minor drawbacks. His internal struggle makes him even more interesting to me.
    Herkey, I agree with everything you said. It's wonderful that he reacted to family dysfuntion and tragedy by channeling his energy into positive goals, but it's too bad that he still can't find peace.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Herkey, I have no issue with what you said. I just think it's important that people realize the internal struggles that Gable went through, and that he has flaws just like all of us do and not everything Gable does should be copied by others. I think it is very courageous of Dan Gable to allow his demons to be exposed in such a public manner. One thing that I always think of when thinking about Gable is that "ask Gable " website. People asked him he did in practice matches against Dave Schultz and if he could beat Cael Sanderson if he "weighted 200 lbs". Gables answers, repectively were that he beat up a young Schultz but as Dave got bigger and better "I'm sure he won his share as well". Regarding Sanderson Gable sid "I would hope I wouldn't have to weigh that much to beat him". It struck me that Gable was too honest to say "I would kill them" but too proud (in a good way) to declare himself too small or too old.

I loved the article. I already knew about his sister and early childhood from a show about him on ESPN. I had no idea about how hard he took the losses of wrestlers he coached and didn't coach. That, to me, was the most interesting part. It seemed to me that he wants all of his wrestlers to have the type of success that he did and it hurts him when they don't.

I also understand what you all are saying about inner peace. I suppose that maybe he got most of his on the mat. But I don't think it was only on the mat. When he was crying over the St. John win and no one knew how to react, they got their mom and she had no problem. Without the article coming right out and saying it, I think she gives him peace too.

BTW, I read the parts about him not using a mouthpiece and not feeling like he deserved to eat for skipping a workout, out loud to my wife. I thought those parts showed his intensity and were cool. She rolled her eyes and shook her head in disgust.

BTW, I read the parts about him not using a mouthpiece and not feeling like he deserved to eat for skipping a workout, out loud to my wife. I thought those parts showed his intensity and were cool. She rolled her eyes and shook her head in disgust.[/QUOTE]

Your wife's reaction is one of the reasons that I wish this article was not widely published; wish that it hadn't gone so public. We need outside help to keep Wrestling in Olympics as well as to grow it at the collegiate level. What we think only as "intensity"(and I agree with you), outsiders will think "crackpot". And, the stories about the overturned table and punching holes in doors with kids behind them aren't acceptable to anyone. This is similar to the problems NCAA football and basketball had with Coaches Hayes and Knight. Bottom line is from my point of view, the article though very interesting, will not help wrestling at any level, especially from those outside the family.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

I really doubt there will be very many people outside the wrestling community who will read it, to begin with. But for those that do, you don't think it will make them even more curious about the sport? I would think that it would make someone look further into a sport that can cause such emotion and intensity. Maybe I'm wrong about that but whenever I see someone that passionate about anything, it sparks my interest.

I'm confused about the mouthpiece thing, do most wrestlers wear mouthpieces? I wrestled for eight years and never wore one, nor did anyone I know wear one. Headgear seems to be more of a problem than mouthpieces, unless I'm misunderstanding the issue.

I wrestled for 13yrs and never used a mouthpiece. But we didn't wrestle the same competion. The article said he still has holes in his tongue from refusing to wear one. If it became an issue like that with me then I would have worn one. He didn't. That guy is just a stud!

I don't notice that a majority of NCAA kids wear mouthpieces either, or am I just not noticing them?

Regardless, I liked the article. People who reach the top of their fields sometimes are chasing (or are chased by) demons. Steve Jobs was a world class a-hole at times, to people he worked with and to his family. Look at A-Rod, Ryan Braun, and Barry Bonds. Or Aaron Hernandez. Or ...