Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 23

Thread: The Losses of Dan Gable Article

  1. #1

    Default The Losses of Dan Gable Article

    Read it. This was phenomenal.

    The Losses of Dan Gable
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  2. #2

    Default Re: The Losses of Dan Gable Article

    Yes, incredible article. iAt the risk of being savaged by Gable fans, he comes across as a very haunted individual in this article. Honestly, the article made me sad. The destructive meltdowns in front of his children, especially, are pretty disturbing. Comparing his college loss to a death in the family, while knowing exactly what that means, was eye opening as well. I'm left to wonder- how much of this (somewhat self destructive) single mindedness is necessary in order to reach the highest levels of success in wrestling?

  3. #3

    Default Re: The Losses of Dan Gable Article

    Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Yes, incredible article. iAt the risk of being savaged by Gable fans, he comes across as a very haunted individual in this article. Honestly, the article made me sad. The destructive meltdowns in front of his children, especially, are pretty disturbing. Comparing his college loss to a death in the family, while knowing exactly what that means, was eye opening as well. I'm left to wonder- how much of this (somewhat self destructive) single mindedness is necessary in order to reach the highest levels of success in wrestling?
    I have to agree with you, Arm Spin. Well put. Non-wrestling fans who take the time to read this article are going to shake their heads with disbelief.......not so much at his dedication, but at his sense of perspective. I"ve got a couple of bios about him.......I'm the same age and have followed him since I saw him beat Hatta at the Midlands. I wish this articlel had not been published...,
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

  4. #4

    Default Re: The Losses of Dan Gable Article

    Comparing his loss to a death in the family is very dramatic. But, it makes it even more difficult for Gable when he probably did all of this FOR the sister that was taken from him. Everything he did was for his sister.

    After reading this article I was shocked as I thought it was incredible. I feel like he was so taken back by almost losing everything that his wrestling career was almost therapy. Giving up wrestling came hand in hand with dealing with his sisters loss: I feel like he has finally dealt with losing her and overcame most of the pain.

  5. #5

    Default Re: The Losses of Dan Gable Article

    I think you guys are nuts. Ask his daughters if they wish he didn't wrestle. I'll bet they would laugh at you. This is his story. It's extreme but thats what it took for him to get where he wanted to be. Hell, I didnt cry when St. John won, but I almost did when Ramos lost.

    I don't know why you would wish this article would have never been published. It's one of the best magazine articles I've ever read.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  6. #6

    Default Re: The Losses of Dan Gable Article

    Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I don't know why you would wish this article would have never been published. It's one of the best magazine articles I've ever read.
    100% agree with that, Sir.

  7. #7
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: The Losses of Dan Gable Article

    My brother brought this article to my attention yesterday and I was glued to the computer reading it. I agree that it offers incredible insights into what drove this man to unequaled success as a competitor and coach. I also feel sorry for him that he must live his life in such a strict fashion that he doesn't feel that he deserves a good meal if he hasn't "earned it." This is the thinking that produces champions, but it also produces a mindset that makes true happiness and peace difficult to achieve. To repeat my my coaching mantra, sports are not an end in themselves but a means to an end. We each have our own barometer of how to measure our success in life, and it is my belief that success in sports is meaningless if it doesn't lead to growth as an individual. Gable was once quoted as saying that he passed up a good high school recruit because he had other interests besides wrestling. This may be the way to win NCAA championships, but it's not, in my humble opinion, what coaching is about (true, I have never wrestled or coached at the DI level).

    I have tremendous respect for Dan Gable's achievements, but I sincerely hope that he is able to lighten up a little more, enjoy more time with his family, and allow himself and those around him to make some mistakes.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  8. #8

    Default Re: The Losses of Dan Gable Article

    Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I think you guys are nuts. Ask his daughters if they wish he didn't wrestle. I'll bet they would laugh at you. This is his story. It's extreme but thats what it took for him to get where he wanted to be. Hell, I didnt cry when St. John won, but I almost did when Ramos lost.

    I don't know why you would wish this article would have never been published. It's one of the best magazine articles I've ever read.
    Forget its Dan Gable for a moment. Just imagine a little girl told you that her dad flipped over the table and punched through her bedroom door because ha had a bad day at work. How would you feel about this? That doesnt mean Gable shouldnt have wrestled or was a horrible parent... but even great men have flaws and dealing with emotions healthily appears to be one of Gables, likely from the trauma and guilt he suffered as a youth. I would be interested to see what other great wrestlers- the Igalis and Burroughs and Karelins of the world- would think of this article. To what extent is Fables single mindedness a neessary trait to become the best?

  9. #9
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: The Losses of Dan Gable Article

    Good post, arm-spin. Was this a Freudian slip?

    Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    To what extent is Fables single mindedness a neessary trait to become the best?
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •