Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting of Men's FS and GR Weight Classes - Opinion

Default Re: Cutting of Men's FS and GR Weight Classes - Opinion

My question is about the recommendations/suggestions/demands that come from the IOC, but what exactly does that mean? Is this the same committee that voted to eliminate wrestling?
    Is there a special group of bureaucrats that is making suggestions to each sport on how to appease the IOC?
    But doesn't every nation get one vote in September to decide what sport to add to the 2020 games?
    Is it one vote per nation? I can't see any other way to make it fair, but at the same time countries like India and China with billions of people and countries like the US, Russia, Japan, Germany Etc. with great sports program get the same number of votes as a tiny country with zero Olympic level athletes.

If FILA refuses to drop weights will that effect how countries vote? I would almost like FILA to take that gamble.

Bringing the women up to the same amount as the men was needed because of the IOC mandate of gender equality. They also dont want to allow anymore medals in our sport. The only way to do it is to go 6-6-6. I just find it a little ironic that the IOC is wanting more gender equality when they are considered the epitome of the old boys club. Before the 2012 Olympics the IOC demanded that they have 7000 hotel rooms reserved as well as 700 limos on hand for the IOC when they came to visit london in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by jba205 View Post
    Bringing the women up to the same amount as the men was needed because of the IOC mandate of gender equality. They also dont want to allow anymore medals in our sport. The only way to do it is to go 6-6-6. I just find it a little ironic that the IOC is wanting more gender equality when they are considered the epitome of the old boys club. Before the 2012 Olympics the IOC demanded that they have 7000 hotel rooms reserved as well as 700 limos on hand for the IOC when they came to visit london in 2011.
    During the final hearing today, FILA was asked if they are doing anything to include women in greco. I think that this is an indication that gender equality is an important issue to the IOC and the loss of men's weight classes in favor of more women's participation may be a fact of life if we are to remain in the Olympics. (The reply was that it had been tried, but women weren't interested in greco). It is very possible that we might have lost the vote if we hadn't adopted the 6-6-6 distribution.

For the record and in response to the original question, my opinion is that men's wrestling is much more exciting and of such a higher quality than women's, and male particpation is so disproportionate to that of females that it is entirely inappropriate for men's weight classes to be eliminated in favor of more women's weight classes.
    Last edited by Spider; 09-08-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.