Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting of Men's FS and GR Weight Classes - Opinion

Default Cutting of Men's FS and GR Weight Classes - Opinion

What is the forum's opinion on the decision to add 2 women's weights at the expense of the men's program?

Was it a necessary move that will lead to the reinstatement of wrestling in the 2020 program is it a desperate move that ultimately results in lower quality wrestling and more weight cutting?

Proposed new men's weights?

58, 65, 74, 85, 96, 110?

Default Re: Cutting of Men's FS and GR Weight Classes - Opinion

Both desperate and necessary, maybe...The little guys are really getting screwed here, which is too bas as they are often the most exciting and have the least opportunities in other sports. if the Olympics wants 6-6-6, give them 6-6-6, but the other tournaments (ie Worlds) should have more weights. This doesn't need to be complicated- add 54 and 130 to the weights you propose, and drop two during the Olympics.

Is there a possibility that after a few cycles we will go back to 7(or maybe even more)?

Also, any chance the World Championships go to more weights? I'm hoping for a no with that one, it will cheapen the World title IMO.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

I think it's absolutely idiotic

I dont think adding weights for a world championship cheapens anything, 6 weights is just too few, especially for smaller guys. I've heard 55 kg might be dropped. To me, dropping 55 (and hopefully adding it for non-Olympic events) is the least disruptive. I dont see why the little guys should lose the chance to be world champions because one tournament every 4 years doesnt want them.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    I dont think adding weights for a world championship cheapens anything, 6 weights is just too few, especially for smaller guys. I've heard 55 kg might be dropped. To me, dropping 55 (and hopefully adding it for non-Olympic events) is the least disruptive. I dont see why the little guys should lose the chance to be world champions because one tournament every 4 years doesnt want them.
    With more weights a World Title becomes significantly easier to win than an Olympic title. Thus cheapening it in my mind.

Burroughs world championship run was just as grueling as his Olympic run. Tsargush, Goudarzi, etc. Spread the talent out more too many champions and then ONLY the olympics REALLY matter, at least as a judge of the worlds best wrestlers.

That's my opinion though.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Seven weights was too few. Six is ridiculous.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

It is a horrible compromise if wrestling has to cut to 6 weights to remain in the Olympics.
    Getting cut from the Olympics is the death of Freestyle in the US. Kyle Dake, JB, etc. are not wrestling after college just for World Championships...Olympic gold is what matters.
    I don't see too many 110+ kg guys wrestling full time if their weight class is only for the Worlds.

My thoughts are wrestling should either insist that the full complement of 7 weight classes of each style is presented for the final vote for inclusion in 2020. My understanding is that the request to drop weight classes is from a committee, while every nation gets one vote on the final deciding vote for 2020. Maybe dropping down to only one bronze per weight class or reducing the number of qualifiers per weight would be an diplomatic offer to reduce the perception of arrogance.

Other possibility is to drop Greco. I would hate to see this but would rather have 7 (or more) weights in FS and 0 GR than 6 FS and 6 GR.

I think dropping women's weight classes is not a wise move.

I believe FILA chose to drop mens weights in exchange for womens weights because the IOC values gender equality. Many have suggested dropping the # of participants per weight, or having extra weight in non Olympic weights. Stan Dziedzic (FILA VP) has stated that the IOC would disapprove of these alternatives but I'm not quite sure why. One of the really frustrating things about this whole Olympic Saga is FILA's lack of transpaency and explanations. I do think dropping greco would work because some of the worlds most influential wrestling guys, including Karelin and Mamishvilli, are greco guys. Personally I think combining the two somehow (FS standing, GR on the mat) would be interesting but I dont think there is a push for that anywhere.