Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Wrestling Fact About Your School

Default Re: A Wrestling Fact About Your School

Those are 2 of the most important things. Owatonna always has stuff for the kids and Coach Davis tries to get as many 7th and 8th graders in there as possible so they gain that experience. When i finish my degree i would love nothing more than to be like a strength coach for a wrestling team.

Since Schlottke is too lazy to look it up, I will tell you:

Apple Valley has won titles in:
    1983, 1985, 1986, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007

Looks like 15 titles since 1976..In 30 years open, 15 titles...the impressive thing is that in those gap years I believe they were 2nd or 3rd and have made state every year since 1983...I could be a little off on that though...
    Last edited by goferphan; 11-22-2007 at 07:53 PM.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

That being said, I attended AVHS but graduated from Mankato East...I guess the one interesting thing about Mankato East is that it had never had a state champion until last year and then Cody Adams won not one, but two titles in a row.

Our program is kind of screwed as the area is rural yet has six or seven wrestling teams in a pretty small area. Mankato East, West and Loyola combined might have 2,000 students and combined I think it would be a REALLY good AAA team but seperate they are just all run of the mill AA schools...the other thing is that none of the wrestling coaches are what I would consider top Tier coaches...hell, most of them are football coaches that need something to do in the winter...sorry Coach Dierks and Coach Kvebak but its true...lol...
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Well if i recall correctly the football team hasn't been to bad...thats a good thing right? lol

Poquoson has won nine Group AA state wrestling championships and finished second 12 additional times. Most recent title was in 1999 where names you might recognize led the way -- Mike Akers (four-time champ, #1 in the nation at 119 according to WUSA) and Victory Jackson (two-time champ, Dream Teamer and #2-3 in the nation, depending on which ranking).

School is notorious for it's obnoxious fans. Also a issue with the mascot/nickname.

It's the Islanders, Bulls or Bull Islanders.

It's easy to tell when Poquoson is winning again -- the fans go back to being obnoxiously rude. I'd put "our" fans up against anyone's in the country in terms of outright nuttyness.

Quote Originally Posted by MNFan View Post
    Well if i recall correctly the football team hasn't been to bad...thats a good thing right? lol
    Yeah, I guess thats something...the year I graduated from highschool was the first winning season that we had ever had...finished 8-2 and then went to the second round of playoffs and lost to the Luverne Cardinals who are playing for the the state championship I think this week...

A couple of years later we changed AD's and the football team has remained really competitive since then...

The high school I graduated from, Fenwick in Oak Park, IL, is also the alma mater of Mike Tamillow... and a Heisman Trophy winner, a current NBA standout (Corey Maggette, graduated the year after me), a Rhodes Scholar and an astronaut.

I am currently blanking on facts on Gordon Tech, the school I used to work for and still coach for... though I did see the fabulous BonnieJ2 at our meet last night!

My high school, Davenport (IA) Central produced a state wrestling champion who later became a 12-term congressman and member of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame Outstanding Americans wing, Jim Leach, and the first African-American to win both an Iowa high school wrestling championship and an NCAA wrestling championship, Si Roberts.

Here's some worthless trivia - Super Bowl MVP Curtis Craig also went to Davenport Central. He broke his leg the first game of his junior season. Si Roberts' son, Tony, was Craig's backup. He stepped in and rushed for over 1,300 yards and was first team All-State running back.

I believe ideamark has a revrewind article on Si somewhere.