Thread: Arm-Spin Awards- US Trials

Default Arm-Spin Awards- US Trials

These are for greco and men's FS combined.

OW: Hard to do this one fairly, as some guys wrestle more than others. Bergman, for example, looked pretty savage but only wrestled twice. In he end I'm giving it to Brent Metcalf for an exciting and dominant preformance in a deep weight. Everyone has mentioned how the longer match helps BM, and I agree, but just as important is the 2 pt takedown. Giving up exposure in a scramble has always been BM's achilles' heel and that's not nearly as detrimental with these rules.

Caylor Williams is my runner up in this category, for absolutely brutalizing his category and making his higher-ranked finals opponent look like a drilling partner.

Best match: Burroughs/Dake 2. This one's been overanalyzed to death, but surely we can all agree that it was friggin' awesome. My runner-up is the Anderson/Fisher greco match were you can almost see Fisher' lungs explode as he gives up a huge lead late.

Best series: Mango/Thielke. Incredible. Thielke with the neverending pressure and slick technique, Mango with unbelievable throws. FILA may have screwed up a lot (for exam0ple, the 2 x 3 rule that ends match 2 unnecessarily) but they do appear to have fixed greco.

Golden Pylon award (Sucess through boring wrestling). Very excited at the lack of candiates for this one. NO MORE CLINCH!!! I suppose Justin Lester takes this one. He had some very tough matches and did what he had to do, but didn't unleash the throwing power he has shown in the past.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Arm-Spin Awards- US Trials

Golden Pylon in FS could go to Gavin I suppose, but not an egregious offense with the new and improved rules. Tsargush getting romped at the Russian Nationals sure was a pleasure to watch. And the even better news is that none of the Russians, from what I saw, took his place as a prime candidate for the Golden Pylon going forward. Maybe the 96kg guy but Gadisov is such a quality opponent that it's hard to blame him.

My personal golden pylon, Andrew Howe every time I watch the guy wrestle he's extremely boring, the only time he's entertaining is when a guy really takes it too him, or smashes him, which is more of the opponent making it entertaining. I think russian nationals would've been a lot more entertaining if they had used the 2point takedown rule. I think the US made the best rules, overtime should be in, russia want one 3 point move then stall, usually a chest lock, you can't do that under 2 point takedowns.

I don't have strong feelings about 1 or 2 pt takedowns. It's all a matter of style. Those who like to throw or get exposure will prefer a 1 pt TD, those who get a lot of TD's will prefer 2 pts. Both the US and Russian trials had incredible wrestling this year IMO. The 60 kg final, and the epic beatdown Tsargush took, are two of my favorites of the year. Boltukaev might have wrestled a defensive match against Gadisov at nationals but I don't think he's generally a boring wrestler. Had a very solid win over Gatsalov in the semis, and wild shootouts in the semis and finals of this year's Yarygin (including pinning Gadsiov). Gavin gets a bit of a pass IMO because he's so undersized at 84. Howe- definitely boring but you need to place better than 4th to win the prestigious pylon award