Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NCAA proposal would merge NCAAs and national duals

Default Re: NCAA proposal would merge NCAAs and national duals

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    You are really comparing completely different sports. Olympic Gymasntics appeals to non-sports fans who like watching the Olympics for the storyliens and the beauty of their athleticism... much like they would watch Dancing with the Stars.

HS wrestling is popular becasue of the connection to the local fans, which are mostly friends family and other students.
    I agree, but I think it puts the comments about complicated scoring being what is holding wrestling back in perspective.
    And I apologize for leaving the Lehigh fan base off my quick and dirty list. They are almost certainly #2 in the state in numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    I agree, but I think it puts the comments about complicated scoring being what is holding wrestling back in perspective.
    And I apologize for leaving the Lehigh fan base off my quick and dirty list. They are almost certainly #2 in the state in numbers.
    I agree that the tournament scoring is not the main thing keeping wrestling back from greater popularity. I think the dual meet format is more exciting to the non-hardcore fan and expanding the role of dual meets would help increase the popularity of our sport.

Of course I sill maintain the easiest and most effective way to boost DI wrestling is to move the championships away from the first weekend of March Madness. The ex-HS (or current) wrestler who might be interested in watching have been worrying about heir college basketball brackets. ESPN has given us this great showcase and its effectiveness is minimal becasue of the scheduling.
    After the Super Bowl, this is the biggest communal sport in the country.

I like the idea. I think it showcases the strengths of wrestling as a sport. It is both a team and an individual sport. I would have to see the proposed scoring idea to make a final decision, but if done right, the idea is a good one, IMO. I wonder how a team like Minnesota would have done in a system like this.

I also don't think dual meets aren't important anymore. I forget who said that, but I love dual meets. I like the fact that you can go to work during the day, then swing on over and catch a dual meet in the evening or catch one on tv. You don't have to spend 8hrs in a gymnasium. I don't think that March Madness takes away from the regular season anymore than dual meets do the national tournament.

I do think they could switch around how they wrestle the championship finals, though. They had a great idea last year by putting the Dake/Taylor match last, but they could have switched around some other weights too so that the team outcome wasn't known so early. But, hey, you can't have it all.

I can see the pluses and minuses of either argument here. As far as putting into practice, why not?

Like others have said I like the idea of finding a blend between strong dual teams and teams that are more top heavy.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    I like the idea of finding a blend between strong dual teams and teams that are more top heavy.
    A top heavy team won't necessarily beat a well balanced "dual meet" team under the currrent format. There are plenty of points to be earned in the wrestlebacks. I know I'm going back a ways, but the 1988 ASU team under Bobby Douglas won the Championship with no finalists. The "top heavy" teams win because their average guys are good enough to pick up a lot of points, too. I just don't believe that changing the format will significantly alter the balance of power, but as I said before, I'm no expert on DI wrestling and am happy to hear why I'm wrong.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.