Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 28

Thread: Tessari

  1. #19

    Default Re: Tessari

    Kent would be happy to take him, I'm sure. He and Miller would definitely make each other better.
    My name's Louden, Louden Swain. Last week I turned 18. I wasn't ready for it. I haven't done anything yet. So I made this deal with myself. This is the year I make my mark.

  2. #20
    NCAA Champ BlueBloodLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The same planet as you
    Posts
    1,032

    Default Re: Tessari

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    That's just one of those false ideas about Iowa that people accept as true. Lots of different style wrestlers have competed at Iowa. Mark Perry, Brent Metcal, Jay Borschel and Matt McDonough are probably the 4 best wrestlers Iowa has had in the years Brands has been there, and all wrestle distinctly different styles, with only Metcalf being the "Iowa Prototype" version of what you would expect.
    I'm not against any "Iowa style" because, well, they win. A lot. But I don't recall them having a lot of 5 point move-type guys, or others that really rack up points fast in fun ways? Actually looking more broadly, are there any schools that really go that have that kind of style?

    As PSU fan, I would have put Dave Taylor and Quentin Wright in that category and when he was on, Andrew Alton as well (side note - even though he wins a ton, I put Ruth in a different category). Going back a few years, I loved watching the Moore brothers because you could be pretty sure that SOMEONE was going to get pinned, and it usually wasn't Scott or Josh.

    But really, that doesn't describe a team, just a few guys who, to be honest, arrived with those styles. Does Iowa really teach a different style than most schools?
    Last edited by BlueBloodLion; 06-11-2013 at 05:17 PM.

  3. #21

    Default Re: Tessari

    I'm not going to speak like I'm the foremost expert of Iowa wrestling, because I'm not. However, as one who lives in the state, I'm probably closer to a lot more of it than most.

    With that said, what an "Iowa style" is, at least as initially coached by Gable, is constant pressure and constant attack. In terms of individual styles, yes, what works works, and the coaches, to my understanding, don't try to change that into one "Iowa style." Rather, they work to make that style that one has better and more effective.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  4. #22

    Default Re: Tessari

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    That's just one of those false ideas about Iowa that people accept as true. Lots of different style wrestlers have competed at Iowa. Mark Perry, Brent Metcal, Jay Borschel and Matt McDonough are probably the 4 best wrestlers Iowa has had in the years Brands has been there, and all wrestle distinctly different styles, with only Metcalf being the "Iowa Prototype" version of what you would expect.

    I don't think Cam will end up at Iowa, but if he did, he would be great (just as he was at times at Ohio State).
    This. People who think Iowa guys all wrestle one style aren't paying close enough attention.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  5. #23

    Default Re: Tessari

    And, in all seriousness, if we really want to see an "Iowa style" today, I think we need look no much further than what they're doing in Minnesota over the past ten years or so.

    Like 'em or lump 'em, those guys bring it as a whole team (for the most part).
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  6. #24

    Default Re: Tessari

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    And, in all seriousness, if we really want to see an "Iowa style" today, I think we need look no much further than what they're doing in Minnesota over the past ten years or so.

    Like 'em or lump 'em, those guys bring it as a whole team (for the most part).
    I just threw up...a lot! The Minnesota back ache was very prevalent this year. I don't know if the injuries are legit or just excuses to not wrestle half the season. As for the actual wrestling, some of it is good.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  7. #25

    Default Re: Tessari

    Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I just threw up...a lot! The Minnesota back ache was very prevalent this year. I don't know if the injuries are legit or just excuses to not wrestle half the season. As for the actual wrestling, some of it is good.
    Well, maybe, but the ache can't be THAT bad, as they've certainly figured out a way to put the spank on Iowa most of the time these past few years.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  8. #26

    Default Re: Tessari

    No National Duals, no Midlands/Scuffle, but I bet the Iowa City duals will still be on the schedule. Maybe that's the kind of season Minny needs to stay healthy.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

  9. #27

    Default Re: Tessari

    this thread has turned

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •