Thread: University Freestyle Finals Match Ups

Default University Freestyle Finals Match Ups

Always enjoy taking a look in to see which college guys are here, seem to be a solid number this year.

55: Zach Sanders v. Nico Megaludis
    60: Tyler Graff v. Cashe Quiroga
    63: Sam Sherlock v. Brandon Wright
    66: Jason Chamberlain v. James Green
    70: Justin Deangelis v. Brandon Kingsley
    74: David Taylor v. Quinton Godley
    79: Andrew Howe v. Logan Storley
    84: Ed Ruth v. Cam Simaz
    96: Micah Burak v. Dustin Kilgore
    120: Tyrell Fortune v. Tony Nelson

As I was typing these up I began to notice that most of the finals had already been wrestled with most of the winners (Graff, Sherlock, Deangelis, Taylor, Howe, Ruth, Burak, and Fortune) cruising in consecutive matches.

55 and 66 were the only weights that are at a 3rd match.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Default Re: University Freestyle Finals Match Ups

Not to be a jerk or anything, but what went wrong with Kilgore? Last year he was ranked #2 in the US to Varner at one point, and beat several top notch national and international opponents (including world medallist from Turkey). Now he placed 7th at the US open, and loses here. To be honest I don't really know who Burak is but I don't think he's got world class credentials.

Are the "extra" weights still going to university worlds? If not, it seems odd that Howe and Sanders (in greco) would chose to compete in them.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Not to be a jerk or anything, but what went wrong with Kilgore? Last year he was ranked #2 in the US to Varner at one point, and beat several top notch national and international opponents (including world medallist from Turkey). Now he placed 7th at the US open, and loses here. To be honest I don't really know who Burak is but I don't think he's got world class credentials.

Are the "extra" weights still going to university worlds? If not, it seems odd that Howe and Sanders (in greco) would chose to compete in them.
    I was surprised as well with Kilgore. I like the new rules. Made freestyle MUCH more exciting to watch. I still think some tweaking is still in order, but all-in-all, it was a vast improvement over the previous version.

micah burak just graduated from U of Penn . A very good career yet nothing phenominal.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

S Finals 2 of 3 - 79 KG
    1st Place - Andrew Howe of NYAC
    2nd Place - Logan Storley of Minnesota Storm
    Round 1
    Round 1 - Andrew Howe (NYAC) won by tech fall over Logan Storley (Minnesota Storm) (TF 10-0)
    Round 2
    Round 2 - Andrew Howe (NYAC) won by tech fall over Logan Storley (Minnesota Storm) (TF 13-3)
    Round 3

AH seems to have recovered well .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    S Finals 2 of 3 - 79 KG
    1st Place - Andrew Howe of NYAC
    2nd Place - Logan Storley of Minnesota Storm
    Round 1
    Round 1 - Andrew Howe (NYAC) won by tech fall over Logan Storley (Minnesota Storm) (TF 10-0)
    Round 2
    Round 2 - Andrew Howe (NYAC) won by tech fall over Logan Storley (Minnesota Storm) (TF 13-3)
    Round 3

AH seems to have recovered well .
    Sure has.

Let me guess- did he lock up an ankle lace and just keep rolling? Definitely the way to win under the current rule set.

Good to see Howe back out there in top form. I can't wait to see Howe and Burroughs go at it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Dissapointed.... It is partly my fault for not paying attention, but I live and work in Akron Ohio, and go to the University of Akron, and had no idea this was going on until yeterday. Luckily i found out in time to go watch the finals, and I have to agree that the new format was awesome.

The "stalling" or passivity call was the only real confusing part about the scoring and some of the officials really screwed it up, but it was great wrestling and deserved at least a little promotion.

Howe was looking untouchable, did whatever he wanted with storley. glad to see him back 100%.

Fortune tossing Nelson and pinning him was exciting, and overall there was great wrestling and wrestlers everywhere. I will definately pay closer attention to freestyle after the scoring changes and am loking forward to WTT.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post

The extra weights are not, for Howe it seemed from his interview that he just wanted to get some matches in. Confirmed that he'll be at 174 next year