Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pick One

Default Re: Pick One

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    If I remember correctly Kolat placed 3rd in midlands as a HS sophomore and has been ranked as the best HS wrestler ever and as great as he was in college he is never listed among the greatest college wrestlers, so in some ways he did not live up to expectations.

My point is not that Hahn and Kolat weren't any good, but rather it is almost impossible to fulfill expectation after the historic HS careers they had and it will be the same with Chance and Pico.
    Unlimited potential can be a curse
    I think part of Kolat's legacy is related to where he went to school his last two years. He did not have the PR machine from a prominent school backing him up to promote his record. I have always said that expectations are something the athlete cannot control, and in Kolat's case, that is true. I understand your position even though it makes Kolat's chances to meet them impossibly tough. It is likely that Taylor will have the same issue, but his PR machine is working better than Cary's.

Quote Originally Posted by Whippet#2 View Post
    The same will probably be thought of David Taylor. He was tabbed to be the next Cael. Even though his overall record is now 100-3. He was expected to be a 4 time Champ.
    No realistic wrestling fan expects any high school wrestler to win 4 titles. None...

I'd also go with Marstellar, as he's kept up that level of greatness going into his senior year. Sometimes guys look like the next "greatest thing" their freshman year and take a bit of a step back by the end of their HS careers. Two guys that come to mind are Chris Phillips and Albert White - though not really fair to either since they were both some of the best ever for their state. But you could just see them losing a bit of their dominant edge, winning matches by closer and closer margins. They did unprecedented things their freshman year and by their last year they were still great, but mortal. The deeper, longer HS resume wins it for me for Chance...

Agree -pico may hit a growth spurt and be unable to compete with bigger guys .CM has stood the test of time .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Marstellar will sign with Penn State and take a redshirt year and then an Olympic Year so you won't see him until 2016 anyway.

Unless the IOC decides in wrestling's favor, the 2015/2016 season is going to horrible with so many taking an Olympic year in hope for a shot in 2016 since 2020 will be decided by the host Olympic Committee.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by Gantry View Post
    No realistic wrestling fan expects any high school wrestler to win 4 titles. None...

I'd also go with Marstellar, as he's kept up that level of greatness going into his senior year. Sometimes guys look like the next "greatest thing" their freshman year and take a bit of a step back by the end of their HS careers. Two guys that come to mind are Chris Phillips and Albert White - though not really fair to either since they were both some of the best ever for their state. But you could just see them losing a bit of their dominant edge, winning matches by closer and closer margins. They did unprecedented things their freshman year and by their last year they were still great, but mortal. The deeper, longer HS resume wins it for me for Chance...
    Gantry--Gold had as his sig for a long time David Taylor 4x NCAA champ!

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    WOW tough crowd. Kolat did not fulfill expectations:

NCAA place record

2 22-5
    3 39-1
    1 25-1
    1 25-0

111-7 career record

So a two timer with his worst showing as a 3rd place and a career record that is stellar by comparison to all but a tiny few who've ever wrestled at that level did not fulfill expectations!! You can't be serious. It would appear that the only way he could have met expectations is if he had pulled a Cael or Dake. To me, that's way to high a bar to set. I should add that he lost twice at Nationals to the eventual champion those years as a true FR and SO.
    Thats exactly the point. He had phenomenal college career, but for many it still underperformed their expectations. Remember that Kolat is pretty much without question the best highschool wrestler of all time. A lot of people thought he was a good bet to win four titles
    Gold is an idiot.

Growth spurt? Pico has been wrestling 132 and 138.

It's not like he's a freshman dominating 106. He's wrestling and beating High School Seniors and College wrestlers.

He just won FILA JR's over quite a few college guys. And he's a Freshman. This is why I don't understand the "growth spurt" talk. The weights he is wrestling has a lot of physically mature guys already.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

I will still take Matseller at this point, not because of a growth spurt but because a lot of things can change when when you're in high school. Girls, parties, motivations can all play a big part in what a guy does. I watched a 2 time state champ and 3 time placer decide he didn't want to come out his senior year because he was tired of wrestling (read he wanted to smoke pot instead).
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

To throw in a football analogy Marstellar is finding himself in a sort of Peyton Manning evaluation. His major critics always say ya he is good but he is peaked, what you say is what you're getting with him, he isn't going to improve. Marstellar better not go to Penn State! I want him at Ok State! Haha
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth