Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 61

Thread: Pick One

  1. #10
    National Finalist 1stplace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    785

    Default Re: Pick One

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Pico's age, and thus the question of "how much better can he be, and will he come back to the pack?" is more prevalent in my mind for him. I think Marstellar is the safer bet with similar upside.
    I agree with this to an extent but he also wasn't wrestling 106 beating up freshman. He was taking it to kids his own age or older quite frequently

  2. #11
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Pick One

    Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    I have a gut feeling that Marsteller won't live up to the hype in college but I don't have much of a basis for it. The kid wins everything in sight. If I could pick any one high schooler I have seen wrestle it would be Jared Cortez. I think he is going to be the best of the litter in college
    With as much hype as he has got it will be extrememly hard to "live up to the hype". There are so many ways that things can go wrong and realy only multiple NCAA championships will meet expectations.
    Look at Cary Kolat and Damion Hahn, two of the best HS wrestlers ever, who also had a ton of hype, and although they both were national champs there still seems to be a feeling that they did not fuflfill expectations

  3. #12

    Default Re: Pick One

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    With as much hype as he has got it will be extrememly hard to "live up to the hype". There are so many ways that things can go wrong and realy only multiple NCAA championships will meet expectations.
    Look at Cary Kolat and Damion Hahn, two of the best HS wrestlers ever, who also had a ton of hype, and although they both were national champs there still seems to be a feeling that they did not fuflfill expectations
    WOW tough crowd. Kolat did not fulfill expectations:

    NCAA place record

    2 22-5
    3 39-1
    1 25-1
    1 25-0

    111-7 career record

    So a two timer with his worst showing as a 3rd place and a career record that is stellar by comparison to all but a tiny few who've ever wrestled at that level did not fulfill expectations!! You can't be serious. It would appear that the only way he could have met expectations is if he had pulled a Cael or Dake. To me, that's way to high a bar to set. I should add that he lost twice at Nationals to the eventual champion those years as a true FR and SO.

  4. #13

    Default Re: Pick One

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    WOW tough crowd. Kolat did not fulfill expectations:

    NCAA place record

    2 22-5
    3 39-1
    1 25-1
    1 25-0

    111-7 career record

    So a two timer with his worst showing as a 3rd place and a career record that is stellar by comparison to all but a tiny few who've ever wrestled at that level did not fulfill expectations!! You can't be serious. It would appear that the only way he could have met expectations is if he had pulled a Cael or Dake. To me, that's way to high a bar to set. I should add that he lost twice at Nationals to the eventual champion those years as a true FR and SO.

    I think that's kind of ODH's point. Some guys can be so hyped up that anything short of perfection is not measuring up to it.

    Anyway, I feel for Cary Kolat. Had something like 3-4 wins overturned via protest at the international level, and as a result never won a world title. Lots of guys had matches overturned by protest back in the day, but wow.

  5. #14

    Default Re: Pick One

    Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    I think that's kind of ODH's point. Some guys can be so hyped up that anything short of perfection is not measuring up to it.

    Anyway, I feel for Cary Kolat. Had something like 3-4 wins overturned via protest at the international level, and as a result never won a world title. Lots of guys had matches overturned by protest back in the day, but wow.
    I don't think that was ODH's point at all. He said that only multiple titles met expectations, yet Kolat has two titles and a 2nd and 3rd place and is still considered by him to have not met his expectations. That's a tough mountain to climb, and unreasonable in my viewpoint. "Anything short of perfection" to me is asinine. Two titles, a 2nd and a 3rd is a GREAT career. The false expectation is on us as fans, and not on Cary. That was a GREAT career he had.

  6. #15
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Pick One

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    I don't think that was ODH's point at all. He said that only multiple titles met expectations, yet Kolat has two titles and a 2nd and 3rd place and is still considered by him to have not met his expectations. That's a tough mountain to climb, and unreasonable in my viewpoint. "Anything short of perfection" to me is asinine. Two titles, a 2nd and a 3rd is a GREAT career. The false expectation is on us as fans, and not on Cary. That was a GREAT career he had.
    He said "there is a feeling that they didn't meet expectations", not that he felt that way. ANd there are, in fact, several people who act like those two didn't meet expectations.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  7. #16
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Pick One

    If I remember correctly Kolat placed 3rd in midlands as a HS sophomore and has been ranked as the best HS wrestler ever and as great as he was in college he is never listed among the greatest college wrestlers, so in some ways he did not live up to expectations.

    My point is not that Hahn and Kolat weren't any good, but rather it is almost impossible to fulfill expectation after the historic HS careers they had and it will be the same with Chance and Pico.
    Unlimited potential can be a curse

  8. #17

    Default Re: Pick One

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    If I remember correctly Kolat placed 3rd in midlands as a HS sophomore and has been ranked as the best HS wrestler ever and as great as he was in college he is never listed among the greatest college wrestlers, so in some ways he did not live up to expectations.

    My point is not that Hahn and Kolat weren't any good, but rather it is almost impossible to fulfill expectation after the historic HS careers they had and it will be the same with Chance and Pico.
    Unlimited potential can be a curse
    The same will probably be thought of David Taylor. He was tabbed to be the next Cael. Even though his overall record is now 100-3. He was expected to be a 4 time Champ.

  9. #18

    Default Re: Pick One

    Since its hard to compare a Senior to a Soph based on shear credentials, I think two HS stud comparisons would lead to a better debate....Marstellar or Snyder; Hall or Pico? I'd rather recruit Marstellar and Hall.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •