Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Freestyle Rules from FILA

Default Re: New Freestyle Rules from FILA

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Also they want 2 x 3 pt moves or a 5 pt move to end a match... but only if you score them when you are already winning... or something
    That sounds like an effort to encourage wrestlers who are winning to keep being aggressive instead of stalling. I get the idea, but I don't think it will work. Scoring a 3 or 5point move at that level is difficult enough to do once. The risk isn't really worth it at that point. Unless it's almost like a continuous move and if so, they would have probably gone for it anyway.

As a side question. And I'm not being a smart alec, I'm seriously wondering. Are the people who make the rules ex-wrestlers at all? I know my judo instructor can't stand new judo rules (he competed in the 60s) because he says that the guys doing the changes have never competed and therefore don't know as much as those who have. I don't know if anyone with FILA actually competed or not. Seems like a good idea to get competitors views. Do they?

This all sounds like a monkey trying to F**k a football.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    That sounds like an effort to encourage wrestlers who are winning to keep being aggressive instead of stalling. I get the idea, but I don't think it will work. Scoring a 3 or 5point move at that level is difficult enough to do once. The risk isn't really worth it at that point. Unless it's almost like a continuous move and if so, they would have probably gone for it anyway.

As a side question. And I'm not being a smart alec, I'm seriously wondering. Are the people who make the rules ex-wrestlers at all? I know my judo instructor can't stand new judo rules (he competed in the 60s) because he says that the guys doing the changes have never competed and therefore don't know as much as those who have. I don't know if anyone with FILA actually competed or not. Seems like a good idea to get competitors views. Do they?
    Stan Dziedzic, who seems to be the point man on this, is a former world champion. So yeah, it's wierd. There is a really good thread on the FILA facebook page where people are discussing these latest additions. Dake, Burroughs, Adam Tirapelle, Brandon Paulson and Adam Tirapelle are only some of the top wrestlers letting their opinions be known (Burroughs is OK with the most recent changes, all others are opposed. Everyone seems to support the cumulative scoring at 2 pt takedowns).

It's very cool to see the FILA VP (Dziedzic) talking to people in the wrestling community using a public forum. At the same time he can be a bit condescending IMO, which is unfortunate. I encourage everyone to get involved- FILA is asking for our input, let's give it to them.