Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you choose?

Default What would you choose?

I was wondering what you all would do if you were a big time HS recruit right now. Some guys, like David Taylor and Brent Metcalf, choose to follow a coach no matter what school he is at. Seems like a solid plan if you are sure that's the guy to get you to a national championship. Then you have guys like Derek St. John, who grew up in Iowa City and probably bleeds black and gold. I wonder if he would have chosen Iowa if Zalesky was still there and Brands was at VT. Then I have to wonder about the Stiebers and Tessari. I'll bet they chose tOSU because they love the school and were determined to make it better. Which probably played a role in recruiting Bo Jordan. So there are two equally strong ways of deciding.

Personally, I would like to say I would choose the Buckeyes no matter what. But if I got a guy like Brands or Sanderson coming after me, I'm not sure what I would do. I am certain I wouldn't choose Michigan no matter who the coach was or who else was in the room to make me better. But aside from that, I'm not so certain I couldn't be convinced to go somewhere besides Columbus. So, basically, I guess I'm saying that I would choose the coach and training partners over the school. What about you guys?

Default Re: What would you choose?

"I am certain I wouldn't choose Michigan no matter who the coach was or who else was in the room to make me better. "

Pretty clear you're OSU junky and therefore the attitude against Michigan.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Depends on your objectives. If you want the best education you can get, go to the school that offers what you're looking for. If you want to be the best wrestler you can be, go with the coach who has the best track record for producing champions. If you want to get the most out of your wresting career, go with the coach who shares your philosophy of what wrestling is all about. If you have always dreamed of attending a particular school and it is consistent with your other objectives, go there. For me, being a highly recruited athlete was so far from the realm of possibility that I can't even imagine how I would have dealt with it.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    "I am certain I wouldn't choose Michigan no matter who the coach was or who else was in the room to make me better. "

But leaving Michigan State as an option.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    I thought everyone had that attitude towards Michigan. Is that really just an Ohio thing?

Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    But leaving Michigan State as an option.
    Going to Michigan State would be like living in your parents basement. It wouldn't be anything to brag about and you wouldn't want to tell a chick that's where you were, but no real harm done by staying there.

Although I love the Buckeyes and attended Purdue to wrestle originally it would be really hard to pass on a school like Cornell if they were coming after you. Best of all worlds...

For me, this is a fairly easy answer, and assuming that I'm not a total stud that can get into the lineup whereever I go, I would go to the place where I could get immediately into the lineup.

Throughout my sports career I could NEVER sit on the bench, and, if I did, I usually wasn't sticking it out with the team very long (yes, I'd quit if I wasn't playing).

Just never made sense to me-still doesn't-to work my butt off in practice only to not play. I never could do that.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

I understand that idea, but disagree. I'd rather RS and do open tournaments for a year or two with really good coaches who are likely to get me into the national finals than start from day one for a coach who will continue to try to get me to qualify for NCAAs.

Ban must be one of those youngsters who thinks he is all he needs

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    Ban must be one of those youngsters who thinks he is all he needs
    No, I must not be one of those youngsters who thinks I'm all I need...

...I'm 48 years old now, and my athletic career ended in my early 20's.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.