Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 46

Thread: McD

  1. #19

    Default Re: McD

    You've misunderstood me. I fully believe that McD was injured. What I'm inquiring about is why was he dissed at the Awards Banquet? If he wrestled all season with an injured shoulder then it would be a no-brainer to award him the Most Courageous. I'd think that his weight cut alone would qualify him. If DSJ really did deserve the award then why didn't McD receive a Coaches Appreciation Award at the very least? Instead he received an Academic award for seniors.

    It certainly puts the coaches in a bad light as it appears to be vindictive for McD not AAing. It's interesting to note that McD had been Most Valuable Wrestler for the three previous years before getting shut out of athletic awards this year.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

  2. #20
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: McD

    Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    You've misunderstood me. I fully believe that McD was injured. What I'm inquiring about is why was he dissed at the Awards Banquet? If he wrestled all season with an injured shoulder then it would be a no-brainer to award him the Most Courageous. I'd think that his weight cut alone would qualify him. If DSJ really did deserve the award then why didn't McD receive a Coaches Appreciation Award at the very least? Instead he received an Academic award for seniors.

    It certainly puts the coaches in a bad light as it appears to be vindictive for McD not AAing. It's interesting to note that McD had been Most Valuable Wrestler for the three previous years before getting shut out of athletic awards this year.
    LOL. Watch Brands interview about McDonough at NCAA's. Then come tell me about his "vindictiveness". You're trying your best to turn the tiniest of molehills into vastest of mountains.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  3. #21

    Default Re: McD

    I still think it's odd that McD didn't win Most Courageous. I'm not an Iowa hater and I'm not all up in Jammen's jock, but it merits discussion rather than calling someone ignorant. What would be a few reasons that he didn't win? It seemed like a slam-dunk, but I'm not an Iowa insider like many of you.

  4. #22
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: McD

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    I still think it's odd that McD didn't win Most Courageous. I'm not an Iowa hater and I'm not all up in Jammen's jock, but it merits discussion rather than calling someone ignorant. What would be a few reasons that he didn't win? It seemed like a slam-dunk, but I'm not an Iowa insider like many of you.
    There have been alternative explanations offered, but nobody knows. Maybe McDonough let the coaches know that he did not want the award because he felt it would be seen as making excuses? There is no evidence at all showing that McDonough and the coaches have anything less than as deep an affection as any coach/athlete relationship.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  5. #23

    Default Re: McD

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Maybe McDonough let the coaches know that he did not want the award because he felt it would be seen as making excuses?
    That's an interesting possibility, hadn't thought of that.

  6. #24

    Default Re: McD

    So McD is supposed to be national champ with an injured shoulder and anything less is making excuses? That theory just does not hold up. It's certainly possible that McD told the coaches he didn't want any recognition at the Awards Banquet for personal reasons. I guess on this topic I'm as informed as the "Iowa insiders".
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

  7. #25
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: McD

    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  8. #26

    Default Re: McD

    I'm starting to feel pitty for Jammen as his life must be pretty rotten. This is a man that spends his entire day looking for angles to throw stones at anything Iowa related. Maybe it's time to look into a more constructive hobby, like stick whittling. You can make...well, nevermind. Just showes how noneventful your life is that you are arguing about who recieved the most couragous award on the Iowa wrestling team. Who gives a flyin flip?
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  9. #27

    Default Re: McD

    Actually Herk, I am apparently the only one supporting McDonough. He is a 3x Most Valuable Wrestler who was injured his senior season and failed to AA. For the coaches to ignore him at the Awards Banquet belittles his contributions and dishonors his legacy.

    I can believe it's possible that McD told the coaches that he didn't want to receive any awards for unknown personal reasons, but I don't understand the apathy of supposed Hawkeye fans who aren't interested in knowing what happened. Particularly since they dissect every other Hawkeye minutiae.

    Anyway it's in the history books now and up to the historians to uncover the facts.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •