Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waller Out As Lock Haven Coach

Default Waller Out As Lock Haven Coach

The short version, Waller was told the AD wanted to "take the program in a different direction." He was offered full pay and benefits for this year and next, and letter of recommendation.

Assistants Scott Moore and Brad Pataky are still listed as assistant coaches.

I have to admit, I'm pretty surprised. Waller points out they were the only mens sport with a winning record this year, despite the school reducing scholarship dollars.

Anyone have thoughts?

Lock Haven releases Robbie Waller as head wrestling coach - National College wrestling | Examiner.com

Default Re: Waller Out As Lock Haven Coach

Just seems quite strange, I don't think he did anything that warranted getting fired after such a short period of time. He was a new AD though right? Like in NFL coaching, when you have a leadership change the new management often wants to bring in "their guys"

I've read elsewhere from sources close to Lock Haven that the University had no choice due to issues unrelated to his record at LHU. More personal in nature. I'll leave it at that.

I have absolutely no knowledge that is the case, but it does sound more like one of those. But I would have thought that Waller would have mostly stayed quiet on the topic if it were a personal/behavior thing.

email From Cary Kolat:

Lock Haven Head Coach Selection

Former Alum:

I apologize for the blanket email but I wanted to reach out to as many LHU Alumni and Boosters as possible.

Lock Haven is about to have its third head wrestling coach in a little more than 10 years. The program has suffered many setbacks during the past decade. We have seen scholarships diminish and the success of the program fall below a level that is acceptable.

First, Waller was put into a position that no new head coach should have to work through and he did the best that he could with the resources he had. I wish him the best wherever he finds himself in the future!

With that being said, the program finds itself looking for a new head coach again. I think it is crucial that this time LHU do a national search for the best candidate to lead the program. In the past, LHU alumni and boosters have had little input on the selection of the new coach. I'd like to see that change.

We now have a new AD and a new president, so I am optimistic that this selection process will be different. I have written to both of them and I expressed that a national search needs to happen. I have also explained that I will do whatever I can to help restore Lock Haven Wrestling.

In the meantime, I feel it is important for us, the younger generation of Lock Haven alumni to become more involved. I realize the last decade has been frustrating for all of us, but I feel that now more then ever, the program needs us to be involved. For as long as I can remember Lock Haven wrestling has had the same boosters doing all the heavy lifting and I think that needs to change also. Successful teams typically have loyal fans, die hard alumni and generous boosters. I'm not suggesting you donate your paycheck, but I am suggesting we make a group effort to do what we can to support this team and the new head coach. Whether that means, cutting a check, bringing you're team to a LHU camp or just showing up at a home match. Do you what you can.

We (I, the ones who have not been involved) need to get moving to stabilize the reputation of this program.

The following needs to happen in the next few days to show the leadership of Lock Haven that we are committed to the success of this program.
    • Email the president (Dr. Fiorentino mfiorentino@lhup.edu) and AD (currently Carl Poff cpoff@lhup.edu ) explaining your willingness to become more supportive of the program if they are willing to do a national search
    • State clearly once again becoming more involved in supporting LHU
    • Forward this email to all past LHU wrestlers encouraging them to do the same
    • Add your contact information so we can keep you up to date on what is happening and how you can help moving forward: http://eepurl.com/zooYD

If we are going to get the best possible candidate for the program, that candidate is going to need to see as much support as possible. Without a large group of supporters willing to get involved we will not convince qualified candidates Lock Haven Wrestling has the nickname "Mat Town USA" for a reason!

Sincerely,

Cary

Wouldn't Cary throw his hat in the ring for the job or is he happy in NC?

If he meant what he said about Waller being in a position that no new head couch should be placed in (I assume meaning a substantial lack of support) i would understand him staying away.

Ignoring that, is he interested in this kind of position? Kind of like Chertow, I view him as being happier in a different role in wrestling.

Scott Moore is your new head coach at Lock Haven
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    Scott Moore is your new head coach at Lock Haven
    Moore was a BRUTAL pinner, really aggressive on top with the boots. Nice hire for Lock Haven.

I can't remember if it was Scott or his brother, but I remember him just mauling a kid to the point where he just yakked in the middle of the match.