Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: No D1 National Duals Next Year

Default Re: No D1 National Duals Next Year

By saying that the National Duals tournament was an economics decision, wouldn't that also pertain to the NCAA tournament in its present state? Teams aren't making money by attending the NCAA tournament? The only winner in that event is the hosting city.

I loved the format when it was 8 teams. When I wrestled in highschool, hell, we had the individual and the team tournament going on at the same time. It was an absolute meat grinder. That has since changed.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

I'm going to say this and kind of hate the way it sounds even as I say it but its got some truthiness to it. I am sure one of the reasons that J Robinson likes this event is because of the success that he has had here. I am sure that the way that he builds his teams from top to bottom give him a chance to win this tournament every year and so why NOT push the event to become sanctioned. I'm sure its hard to sit there some years and watch 4 individuals champs from Penn State rack up enough points to beat his more balanced teams at nationals and he comes away empty handed again.

All that being said I still enjoyed the event for the gamesmanship the coaches employed such as Askren getting to go up and face Kish and other moves coaches make to try to win a dual match versus a team that on paper should beat them based on standard match-ups. I will miss it.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    I'm going to say this and kind of hate the way it sounds even as I say it but its got some truthiness to it. I am sure one of the reasons that J Robinson likes this event is because of the success that he has had here. I am sure that the way that he builds his teams from top to bottom give him a chance to win this tournament every year and so why NOT push the event to become sanctioned. I'm sure its hard to sit there some years and watch 4 individuals champs from Penn State rack up enough points to beat his more balanced teams at nationals and he comes away empty handed again.
    So does it then follow that Brands and Sanderson oppose the National Duals because they don't like their chances of winning it?
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

does anyone really believe top D1 coaches make long term decisions based upon what this year's and next year's teams look like on paper??

I like the fact that there is a better chance for an upset at a dual than in a tournament. One guy gets sloppy and pinned then all of the sudden the dual is up in the air. In a 32 man tournament if he gets pinned and he can still come back and get third scoring just about as many points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    So does it then follow that Brands and Sanderson oppose the National Duals because they don't like their chances of winning it?
    No.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

So if you are in favor of the National Duals then you are self-serving. If you are opposed then you are principled. Got it.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    So if you are in favor of the National Duals then you are self-serving. If you are opposed then you are principled. Got it.
    I don't feel that way one bit. The people who want it, have their reasons. The teams that don't want to come certainly have theirs and I don't fault either team for wanting to go or not wanting to.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Funny thing, until about 3 years ago, Penn State was a team that typically had better success in a national duals format than the individual tournament.