Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best at theirweight, 2000 to 2013

Default Re: Best at theirweight, 2000 to 2013

Good stuff by all, and as I predicted there is no shortage of disagreement. Abas seems to easily be the overall #1 but Robles, Hunter, Escobedo, McD and Nickerson all got #2 picks. Like I said, this whole list is made up of guys who could beat each other on any given day so that is no surprise.

Thinking a bit on my picks, I think I may could have overrated Joe D and underrated Nickerson, Esco and to an extent Donahoe, who seemed to give Nickerson a pretty miserable time. Again, Hunter I don't know much about but there's no doubt he was a quality guy so it's no surprise he has his rooters. BUT, #2 may be a bit high for a 1x finalist in my opinion. Who the hell knows though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    I'd take Pendleton over Askren every time, if that's who we're talking about.
    Askren 2-2-1-1, 153-8, 91 pins, 2x Hodge winner, 87 match winning streak to finish career. But if you only want to focus on the Fr & So years; Pendleton FR 15-7, SO 13-2.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    Good stuff by all, and as I predicted there is no shortage of disagreement. Abas seems to easily be the overall #1 but Robles, Hunter, Escobedo, McD and Nickerson all got #2 picks. Like I said, this whole list is made up of guys who could beat each other on any given day so that is no surprise.

Thinking a bit on my picks, I think I may could have overrated Joe D and underrated Nickerson, Esco and to an extent Donahoe, who seemed to give Nickerson a pretty miserable time. Again, Hunter I don't know much about but there's no doubt he was a quality guy so it's no surprise he has his rooters. BUT, #2 may be a bit high for a 1x finalist in my opinion. Who the hell knows though.
    By your own definition weren't we supposed to rank them based on how they were the year they won and not on their overall career? But it's difficult to ignore career and international success, which is probably why Abas is getting so much love. That being said I'll go with:

Robles
    Abas ('01)
    McDonough ('12)
    Powell
    Hunter
    Lee
    Escobedo
    Nickerson
    Donahoe
    Delgado
    Dubuque

Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    Askren 2-2-1-1, 153-8, 91 pins, 2x Hodge winner, 87 match winning streak to finish career. But if you only want to focus on the Fr & So years; Pendleton FR 15-7, SO 13-2.
    My understanding is these rankings are about who was the best wrestler at their peak, rather than who had the best career. Clearly, Askren's career was better, but Pendleton beat him convincily head-to-head many times. I'm not sure a jr or senior Askren would beat him, esp. since Pendleton beat him in a freestyle match after college was over for both.

I'm just going on all of the matches I saw them wrestle head to head. Askren could not figure Pendleton out, and I don't think he would have in his Junior and Senior years. Askren beat the dog-poop out of nearly everyone but Pendleton in college, if I remember correctly.

You're right, I forgot about the peak part. I was arguing careers.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

You're right, I forgot about the peak part. I was arguing careers.
    Heh, I forgot the peak part myself and I was the one who stipulated it.

Still, in general, someone who makes the finals 1x is likely not as good as a multiple finalist.

Great thread idea, had been waiting to get into this thread for a while since I'd seen it. I'm going to abstain from placing Hunter because he's the only guy on the list that I've never seen.

1. Abas
    2. Robles
    3. Dubuque
    4. McDonough
    5. Escobedo
    6. Nickerson
    7. Lee
    8. Powell
    9. Donahoe
    10. Delgado

Abas is an easy no doubt abouter at #1. Powell, Donahoe, and Delgado are a pretty easy 8-10.

2-7 was tricky. Robles was the only guy who was undefeated the year that he won his title. Dubuque won some brutal brackets as a junior and a senior with Ott, Simmons, Hazewinkel, Nickerson, and others. Nearly went higher with McDonough's 2010 year, had he beaten Nickerson or Escobedo in the process I might have. Escobedo was great in 08 but was probably better the next two years despite the fact that he didn't win. Always have loved Nickerson but like Escobedo he was better (in my mind) in other years. Then I remember Lee being kind of a surprise champ the year he won at 125. Win over Fleeger in the finals is a good one though.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12