Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Open Coming Up

Default Re: U.S. Open Coming Up

Of the three freestyle weights last night, only guy who won who I expected was Gavin.

Oddly I think I'm less surprised about Bradley over Tervel than I am Russell over Oliver.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Thoroughly impressed with Kellen. Every step of the way looked dynamic, offensive and LONG LIVE THE GYRO!!!! After watching him Yesterday I fully expected him to beat JO.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Burroughs/Taylor tonight!

Humphery beats Stieber.

Taylor piss-pounded Marable, pretty damn impressive. I assume he's going to get doubled to death by Burroughs, should be interesting.

Taylor actually looks a little bigger than I thought he was, I guess it's because he wasn't wearing that ridiculous PSU uni.

Blanc over Perelli 6-0, 4-0. Beatdown.

Hump beats Coleman in two, went to the ball grab in the first.

The ball grab is arguably the most ridiculous way to break a tie that I've ever seen.

The clinch is terrible. It's now general knowledge that the current rules of wrestling have issues.

That said, it's important to realize that getting rid of the clinch doesn't make this an exciting match. It makes it a boring match with no clinch. The problem with these national tournaments is that really good wrestlers, under a lot of pressure, wrestle guys they are very familiar with. That's a recipe for defensive matches. Same problem happens at the Russian nationals- guys who are human highlight reels most of the time are suddenly not scoring.

Don't get me wrong, I support getting rid of the clinch. I just don't think that this will magically turn a 1-0 match into a 10-8 match or something (which a lot of people do, if flowrestling comments are any indication).

Burroughs wins 3-1, 1-0. Taylor looked very good there.

Blanc looked great.

DT did look like a very nice sized 74. I thought I might have heard he may go up to 84 ultimately?

Arm spin you are right about the clinch and the fact that match was going to be boring with or without the clinch.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.