Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Destin McCauley to Nebraska

Default Re: Destin McCauley to Nebraska

I think Sueflohn or McCauley redshirt depending how they compete against each other in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    I have never heard that rule and it is the 1st time I heard Destin doesn't have 5 years to compete 4.
    I think you're right. How else was little Burak considered a true freshman at Iowa?
    My name's Louden, Louden Swain. Last week I turned 18. I wasn't ready for it. I haven't done anything yet. So I made this deal with myself. This is the year I make my mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    I don't believe this is true. Destin is two years out of HS, and you only get one year out in D1 before the clock starts to tick on the five years of eligibility. Exceptions are missions and military service. So he burned his RS, and now has 4 years of eligibility left to wrestle his four years I do believe.
    If this is true I never heard it.
    Last edited by vaisforlovers; 04-16-2013 at 10:31 AM.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Clock starts when you enroll in a college, not when you graduate high school.

NCAA Division I Five-Year Clock Explained | Eligibility Coach
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Clock starts when you enroll in a college, not when you graduate high school.

NCAA Division I Five-Year Clock Explained | Eligibility Coach
    NCAA Military Rules- Eligibility exceptions for Military

From the article: This rule stipulates that college student-athletes have five years to complete their four years of eligibility. In most college sports, athletes’ eligibility clocks start counting down only one year after their high school graduation.

The article was based on an example of military service, but applies equally for McCauley as well in the context presented.
    Last edited by Tucker; 04-16-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Unless an exception is allowed (there are several in a couple different forms), a kid graduating HS has 6 years in which to use his 5 years of eligibility and 4 years of active participation. That's my understanding of the NCAA spaghetti.

All that said, I'm pretty sure Destin has used two of his six years without proper exception, and only has 4 more years of eligibility in which to get 4 years of participation.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    If this is true I never heard it.
    Haha, you're edited answer seems a little less certain than your first answer.

I don't know my head from my rear-end on this issue, just thought your post was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    Haha, you're edited answer seems a little less certain than your first answer.

I don't know my head from my rear-end on this issue, just thought your post was funny.
    Ha, I wish I could have seen his first reply. There certainly IS a high school clock in addition to the 5 year eligibility clock as Vais is now aware. Honestly, the only reason I knew it was Matt Brown and his mission eligibility, which is one of the few exceptions to the rule. We hashed that out on the PSU Scout board a couple years back. The rule was changed in 2004 it appears. Probably the Chris Weinke Rule.

Here's the NCAA rulebook. All 444 pages of it!!!!!!

http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D113.pdf

The relevant discussion is under section 14.2.3.2 on page 157
    Last edited by Tucker; 04-16-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Now that you tell that story, I do remember that. I'll see if I can dig it up, but the NCAA did set some limits on total time as well as time following enrollment. If I remember correctly, it is only D1, and it varies by sport. That should make it easier to understand...