Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocky Trudgeon out at VMI

Default Rocky Trudgeon out at VMI

Rocky Trudgeon, head wrestling coach at VMI, has been moved to an administrative position at the Institute and will not return as the head wrestling coach. His assistant, Chris Skretkowicz, has been named interim head coach for next season. I'm assuming its probably his job to lose. I wish Coach Trudgeon well, but the program as been in decline for the last decade. Prior to Coach Trudgeon's arrival Ike Sherlock had a 46-7 dual meet record in his last four seasons at the Institute. Coach Trudgeon never came close to that type dual meet performance, although to his credit he did have a couple AAs.

Yes, recruiting talent to a place like VMI can be challenging, but I look at the Citadel's recent success as an example of a similar program getting it right. I worry that VMI may be another university on the verge of dropping wrestling. I've seen little energy or support from the Institute leadership for the program as evidenced by the poor state of the wrestling facilities. The thunderdome was always a great place to wrestle and the cadets came out in force to support the squad. Its unfortunate that VMI didn't give them more to cheer about over the last few years.

We used to get plenty of Ohio and PA kids in the room as well. When I look at the roster now the percentage of VA kids is a lot higher. I'm guessing its a funding issue and an in-state recruit is a lot cheaper than an out of state recruit. Opening the doors to Co-ed education and the impact of Title IX was probably a huge detriment as well, although like I said the Citadel is finding a way to be successful (although their record of success is relatively short).

I'd like to see VMI put a hard press on Robie at VT or Weber at Christiansburg, but I don't think either would be interested. Bruce Shumaker at the Apprentice School would also be a great choice and was there in the early 80s as an assistant. Maybe a current VA AAA HS coach like Martin at Western Branch.
    Vais any ideas on a new head coach?

Default Re: Rocky Trudgeon out at VMI

Quote Originally Posted by jmpollo View Post
    Vais any ideas on a new head coach?
    Terry Brands.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure. VMI needs an energetic leader who can recruit a very specific kind of kid.

VMI is like 35 minutes from my house, so I see a lot of kids go there, and bounce back. No cell phones, very little free time right away is not the "college experience" most kids are looking for. The first year of being a "rat" is not fun either. Wrestlers are tough kids, but they like the social aspect of college as well. While a degree from VMI is a very valuable thing, a quality degree can be obtained other places without sacrificing a social life.

So a young, creative outside-the-box thinker will be necessary. I coach very near the school and haven't heard of one thing the VMI coach has done to build interest in his program. I get stuff from nearly every school in VA about clinics, meets, etc. Never one thing from VMI. So I'm curious how invested he was in building it up.

Robie and Weber would be slam dunks, but I"m not sure they'd be interested.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure. VMI needs an energetic leader who can recruit a very specific kind of kid.

VMI is like 35 minutes from my house, so I see a lot of kids go there, and bounce back. No cell phones, very little free time right away is not the "college experience" most kids are looking for. The first year of being a "rat" is not fun either. Wrestlers are tough kids, but they like the social aspect of college as well. While a degree from VMI is a very valuable thing, a quality degree can be obtained other places without sacrificing a social life.

So a young, creative outside-the-box thinker will be necessary. I coach very near the school and haven't heard of one thing the VMI coach has done to build interest in his program. I get stuff from nearly every school in VA about clinics, meets, etc. Never one thing from VMI. So I'm curious how invested he was in building it up.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    In all seriousness, I'm not sure. VMI needs an energetic leader who can recruit a very specific kind of kid. VMI is like 35 minutes from my house, so I see a lot of kids go there, and bounce back. No cell phones, very little free time right away is not the "college experience" most kids are looking for. The first year of being a "rat" is not fun either. Wrestlers are tough kids, but they like the social aspect of college as well. While a degree from VMI is a very valuable thing, a quality degree can be obtained other places without sacrificing a social life. So a young, creative outside-the-box thinker will be necessary. I coach very near the school and haven't heard of one thing the VMI coach has done to build interest in his program. I get stuff from nearly every school in VA about clinics, meets, etc. Never one thing from VMI. So I'm curious how invested he was in building it up. Robie and Weber would be slam dunks, but I"m not sure they'd be interested.
    Long shot prediction: VMI calls JJaggers and he turns them down. They then call their back up guy Christian Pyles. (I expect a call for an interview for assistant.)

Quote Originally Posted by Whippet#2 View Post
    They then call their back up guy Christian Pyles. (I expect a call for an interview for assistant.)
    That would be a dark day for VMI wrestling.

You've just about hit the nail on the head. I graduated from VMI in the mid 80s and wrestled in the program for a couple years. Went to HS just outside Lexington and walked on. Youre right about the lack of interest and energy. VMI has no off season FS/GR club and the one club that Lexington does have (Team Hammer) you never see a VMI wrestler there. Even though the head coach of the club was a former VMI assistant and well liked and respected in the community.

It seems the staff just got comfortable being mediocre and they have resigned themselves to the fact that the challenges to being successful are insurmountable. I would disagree. Navy puts out a pretty good product ever year and the Citadel s getting there. Yeah, VMI will never get Joey Dance or Devin Carter but they could peel off some AAA place winners if they put more energy into the program.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpollo View Post
    You've just about hit the nail on the head. I graduated from VMI in the mid 80s and wrestled in the program for a couple years. Went to HS just outside Lexington and walked on. Youre right about the lack of interest and energy. VMI has no off season FS/GR club and the one club that Lexington does have (Team Hammer) you never see a VMI wrestler there. Even though the head coach of the club was a former VMI assistant and well liked and respected in the community.

It seems the staff just got comfortable being mediocre and they have resigned themselves to the fact that the challenges to being successful are insurmountable. I would disagree. Navy puts out a pretty good product ever year and the Citadel s getting there. Yeah, VMI will never get Joey Dance or Devin Carter but they could peel off some AAA place winners if they put more energy into the program.
    I wouldn't be surprised if we know some of the same people if you're from outside Lexington and familiar with Team Hammer(Coach Bruce). My high school team has practiced with his some before post season 2 years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if we know some of the same people if you're from outside Lexington and familiar with Team Hammer(Coach Bruce). My high school team has practiced with his some before post season 2 years ago.
    I came back to Rockbridge County for a year after I retired from the Marines and coached with Aaron in the club. Lot of the kids in that club were sons and nephews of guys I wrestled with in HS. It was a neat experience.

I live up in Alaska now and am looking to get involved again. I miss it.

I still have family in the county and stop in and see Aaron on occasion. If I hit a tournament or dual in VA I'll drop you a line. Maybe we can link up.