Alaska 2 2
    Germany 1 1
    Hungary 1 1
    Mongolia 1 1
    Russia 1 1

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Default Re: Your teams lineup

Quote Originally Posted by barrett View Post
    Do you actually have numbers on this, or are you making it up?

I would be willing to bet that if you broke down top 100 recruits from each state in the past 10 years, you would find far more correlation between national tournament results and College success than state of origin and college success.

I would also be willing to bet that the small states would be scattered throughout the big states for % of top 100 recruits that panned out in college.

The Ashmores may have flopped at OSU but so did Frishkorn, Benefiel, Meade, White, Bailey, Rupp and many others over that 5 year stretch. Actual data would lead much more to a conclusion that the flopping was due to program wide issues since it showed up across all states of origin over that 5 year stretch.

Without looking at actual data you cannot claim something is a trend, and I don't believe the data would support it if you looked.
    No I did not look at the data, that would be interesting and something I'd like to play with. But by my argument I think the data would still support my "go for Ohio and PA kids" argument

You also have an interesting definition of "flop"

Dan Frishkorn - Car Wreck after AAing (Jordan flopped though, although I heard he got sick or something like that)
    Mike Benefiel- Did good before boneheading his way out of college
    Meade- See Benefiel
    White- Eh he got hurt a lot and never got a chance to shine, then flopped
    Bailey- Was he considered a big name recruit? If so he had a great freshman year followed by out of nowhere suckage
    Rupp- Rupp is very good, just not as good as Morrison
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

I did mean the younger Frishkorn. By flop I meant top 100 type recruits who never AAd, like the two Ashmores. Every guy who didn't make it has contributing factors. Data shows that OSU had way more of those guys (and way more contributing factors) than a school should. The safe conclusion is that they did a poor job developing/retaining young wrestlers in those years.

I agree that I would go for a stud from Pa if they're available, but how many of the weaker state guys you think of as flops were CHOSEN by a coach over a stud from Pa or Ohio? Most of the time the studs from Ohio and Pa. are locked up by the top programs and the guys from smaller states are 2nd choices. The truth is that a weak state guy has to have phenomenal credentials just to get in the top 100 because their in-state results are (rightly) disregarded for D1 purposes. If a guy from a weaker state has reached top recruit status he has more than earned it.

If there is a handicap for weaker state guys it is geography. They have to travel farther away from home to attend school (and there is no transfer close to home option if they get homesick). But I definitely don't believe that those kids are less ready for the grind or the competition. They had to beat all the best competition just to get on the radar.

You mention Grajales, his schedule showed him more top level kids and tough matches each year than %90 of the kids in Pa. see because his school traveled nationally preseason, in-season, and post-season.

Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    Does the last name start with Camp...?
    I barely even know who Campolattano is, and certainly would have known nothing about him coming out of high school, as I don't follow high school wrestling at all.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Whippet, I'm confused by some of your stats. How can there be more AAs than individuals for a state? Does individual mean champion?

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Whippet, I'm confused by some of your stats. How can there be more AAs than individuals for a state? Does individual mean champion?
    Some individuals AA'd multiple times.

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    I barely even know who Campolattano is, and certainly would have known nothing about him coming out of high school, as I don't follow high school wrestling at all.
    i have a feeling I know exactly how Mark Perry is talking about, and he's movie star
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

So what about the buckeyes??